• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers make a list (not a good one)

Jeremy Igo

This has been my concern since Gross retired. It's maddening that a guy like DG, who is all about the big guys, seems to be so nonchalant about the OT position.

​I would not say he is nonchalant.  Im pretty sure that our need for an OT is as obvious to Gettleman as it is to everyone else..

If there is one thing i have learned from Gettleman, its that teams that worry more about the present than the future (99% of the NFL) wont have sustained success.  We could have gone out this offseason and found great solutions for all of our needs..at a cost.

The best GMs go out and find guys that can fill roles until a long term solution is found.  At the end of last year, going into the playoffs, no one can convince me that we werent one of the best teams in the league..and that was with one of the worst OLs in the NFL.. So its been proven that we can have winning seasons even with huge holes in the roster..

Gettlemans not going to try to win the superbowl in the offseason.  He is just going to keep trying to build a roster that can consistently make the playoffs.. We will keep beating on the door until we break through it.. But unfortunately, it doesnt happen overnight.  And if you try to put all your eggs in one basket, you are just setting yourself up for failure.

That's because Dave has found us what seem to be two really good OGs. Hopefully Williams is the long term RT. Left tackle is our weakest link just like last year.

Last year Nate Chandler was fighting Byron Bell for the most important job on our line. This year he is fighting for his roster spot. Bell is in Tennessee and David Foucalt is not our 3rd best option. Everyone wants to compare Bell to Oher but the depth really matters considering David Foucalt started for us last year and Bell played injured for a stretch because Nate Chandler was even more injured. 

Think about Greg Olsen's stats last year considering he played assistant-tackle in a few games. 

​Not impressed by the Bell/Chandler experiment?

​What more was DG really supposed to do last season at OT?

We had zero money (you can say the Hardy tag was his big mistake).....we actually tried to sign a serviceable LT (so the rumor goes).  Only option he really had was to reach for an OT in the draft when the value was not there.

I honestly think it was more of a "not really another choice" scenario last year rather than him really believing Bell/Chandler were the options.

i think the interior OL is set for a long time and that will help immensely whoever is on the outside.

i think also that we have upgrades from where we were at this point last year at RT and LT and we have something we didn't have last year...competition. maybe nothing comes from it, but i have hope that we will be set at one of the two OT spots at the very least.

This might sound very crazy but it struck me with and idea. I downloaded  the updated nfl draft rosters in madden and when I looked at our oline they had norwell at lt and  daryl williams at gaurd. Norwell played some tackle in college as well.

​What more was DG really supposed to do last season at OT?

We had zero money (you can say the Hardy tag was his big mistake).....we actually tried to sign a serviceable LT (so the rumor goes).  Only option he really had was to reach for an OT in the draft when the value was not there.

I honestly think it was more of a "not really another choice" scenario last year rather than him really believing Bell/Chandler were the options.

Well,  Remmers was there waiting on the rams practice squad before the season began. Imagine if the Panthers grabbed him then. Having Remmers play over Chandler a few games would have been helpful. No? 

Which legit LT did they neglect to pick in the draft? The Cards grabbed Humphries at 24 and they obviously didn't value the guys taken in the 2nd. Draft some half assed player labeled as an OT (who can't make it off the practice squad) and they did good. Get a quality player at another position, who can actually contribute and become a starter, and they don't know what they're doing. 

Which legit LT did they neglect to pick in the draft? The Cards grabbed Humphries at 24 and they obviously didn't value the guys taken in the 2nd. Draft some half assed player labeled as an OT (who can't make it off the practice squad) and they did good. Get a quality player at another position, who can actually contribute and become a starter, and they don't know what they're doing. 

​This may actually be it... Gman probably knows LT has been neglected but didn't want to reach in the draft (which he said over and over) and he felt Oher was the only legit FA worth having...   

It sucks but...

Archived