• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers make a list (not a good one)

Jeremy Igo

This site lists the top 5 unaddressed positions of need in the NFC. 

The Panthers come in at #3 for the Offensive Tackle position.

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/lists/5333/the-top-5-unaddressed-positions-of-need-in-the-nfc/carolina-panthers-offensive-line-3

It’s not that the Panthers haven’t tried to address this issue, it’s just that they’ve done it really poorly. Their only free agent signing along the line was that of Michael “The Blind Side” Oher, who has given up 93 total pressures in his last 27 starts as a right tackle. The man who will be backing him up? Dolphins’ and 49ers’ flameout Jonathan Martin. Martin played 661 snaps last season in 15 appearances (nine of them starts), but was fairly ineffective -– as a right tackle. He could be moved in to a guard position, but he has never played it before. The only rookie they added? 102nd Overall pick Daryl Williams out of Oklahoma. He allowed no sacks in his senior season as a Sooner, but his athletic limitations mean he’ll likely play as a road-grading right tackle only.

Bell stuck around here way too long, simple as that. Chandler may be kept for depth, but he should be sent packing as well.

If you look at this from an outside perspective, it's absolutely concerning.

All we can do is hope that Oher can return to form, and have a career year for us.

​Not impressed by the Bell/Chandler experiment?

​It's just really frustrating.  I understand that he was caught off guard by Jordan's decision to retire.  I understand that the cupboard was somewhat bare last year in FA.  I understand the whole salary cap thing.  But our OT depth last year would have struggled to start for an SEC school.  Thank god he stumbled upon Remmers to get us through the second half of the season.  Dave has done really well at finding us talent at positions of need but he gets an F so far when it comes to OT.  

This has been my concern since Gross retired. It's maddening that a guy like DG, who is all about the big guys, seems to be so nonchalant about the OT position.

I agree but I'm not going to judge him until he has an actual opportunity to address the position. We haven't had the cap to go for a top FA and the next tier all got way overpaid and busted, and where we've been picking in the draft, OTs just haven't been the BPA there. Damn near impossible to get a starting caliber LT at 25 or 28, and you can hardly argue with his other picks last year being the BPA.

Bell stuck around here way too long, simple as that. Chandler may be kept for depth, but he should be sent packing as well.

If you look at this from an outside perspective, it's absolutely concerning.

All we can do is hope that Oher can return to form, and have a career year for us.

​Sitting here with our fingers crossed hoping that Oher will all the sudden become something he has not yet been is a huge chance to take.  Huge.  We are facing some pass rushers this year as well.  Dave's thinking on the OT position just baffles my mind.

Our offensive line looks way better this year than last on paper. It's still bad, but way better. 

That's because Dave has found us what seem to be two really good OGs. Hopefully Williams is the long term RT. Left tackle is our weakest link just like last year.

​Sitting here with our fingers crossed hoping that Oher will all the sudden become something he has not yet been is a huge chance to take.  Huge.  We are facing some pass rushers this year as well.  Dave's thinking on the OT position just baffles my mind.

I don't disagree with you.

Much of the reasoning here behind signing Oher has been "well at least he's better than Bell". Which isn't obviously saying much.

Some want to argue that LT is not a make or break position for our season, and if we are speaking in terms of just winning the division and stumbling into the playoffs, it might not be. But if the goal is to win a championship, then there is no question that it most certainly is.

The silver lining at least for me...is that the 2016 crop of FA LTs has a chance to be pretty good.  Guys like Trent Williams, Cordy Glenn, and a few others could be available with some cap space to spend (for once). 

Obviously I hope that Oher/Remmers/Williams/Martin can be average this year...but finding and locking up our future LT is the 2nd most pressing need behind re-signing Cam going into next offseason IMO.

Archived