• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ted Ginn back in Panthers blue

Jeremy Igo

Can you justify a roster spot for someone who just returns punts? Not saying last year was ideal but look at the talent and potential we have at WR this year.

Benjamin, Funchess, Boykin, Cotchery, Brown, Hill, Ginn, Bersin, and the udfa kid from usc. There is no way we dress 6-7 WR in a game this year. Who do you pick? Cotchery is here for his leadership, Benjamin and Funchess are guaranteed a spot, Boykin can play all aspect of ST and has shown to be a 3rd WR, and Brown is a talented guy who is up and coming. Don't put it past him not making it

Ginn is more than a special teams guy. Until others show they can do it better, he is our deep threat who can blow the top off of offenses . He is proven in our system while most others are not. it is his job to lose right now.

Ginn is more than a special teams guy. Until others show they can do it better, he is our deep threat who can blow the top off of offenses . He is proven in our system while most others are not. it is his job to lose right now.

​Exactly. And its funny hearing people say Cotchery is a lock. He is far from that. Especially when we have other guys that are just as good skill wise or better and plus play special teams and are younger.

Very excited to have Ginn back. I've said it a million times in other threads, but I think he is an important piece for our team. He was a reason we had the success we did in 2013, from field position to playmaking/game winning TDs. I don't see him off the squad this year. However, I won't ignorantly rule it out completely. Igo has already stated KB and Funch are the only two WRs guaranteed a spot. I just think Ginn is right there with them. IMO.

​Exactly. And its funny hearing people say Cotchery is a lock. He is far from that. Especially when we have other guys that are just as good skill wise or better and plus play special teams and are younger.

​If we keep Cotchery instead of Ginn I'd be pissed. When Tedd Ginn had chances to make big plays, he helped us win games. When Cotchery had them, he dropped the ball - literally.

Can you justify a roster spot for someone who just returns punts? Not saying last year was ideal but look at the talent and potential we have at WR this year.

Benjamin, Funchess, Boykin, Cotchery, Brown, Hill, Ginn, Bersin, and the udfa kid from usc. There is no way we dress 6-7 WR in a game this year. Who do you pick? Cotchery is here for his leadership, Benjamin and Funchess are guaranteed a spot, Boykin can play all aspect of ST and has shown to be a 3rd WR, and Brown is a talented guy who is up and coming. Don't put it past him not making it

​boykin has shown to be a #3 WR but Ginn hasnt?

in Boykin's 1 good year he had 8 games started, 681 yards and 3 TDs with ARod throwin him the ball

In Ginn's 1 year in our offense he had 2 games started 556 yards and 5 TDs...

is 125 yards really better than 2 more TDs in our system already...plus he can return punts...

only thing Boykin has over Ginn is age, hes 5 years younger so that is something...

No way Bersin makes it over Ginn. I dont see an UDFA making it over one of the best punt returners in the game who also proved to be an effective slot receiver either 

Hope you guys don't read me the wrong way, I'd take Ginn over Cotch. But it's also a numbers game. The chances for Bersin and the kid from USC isn't very high to make the team this year. That leaves us with 7 receivers to pick to have on the team. Last year we had Kelvin, Cotch, Bersin, Brown as our WR during the playoffs. You really think we will roll with 7 WR on the roster let alone 5 of those gaining a game day jersey? I see Gettle, and Rivera giving more roster spots for OL, DL, and LB than WR

Hope you guys don't read me the wrong way, I'd take Ginn over Cotch. But it's also a numbers game. The chances for Bersin and the kid from USC isn't very high to make the team this year. That leaves us with 7 receivers to pick to have on the team. Last year we had Kelvin, Cotch, Bersin, Brown as our WR during the playoffs. You really think we will roll with 7 WR on the roster let alone 5 of those gaining a game day jersey? I see Gettle, and Rivera giving more roster spots for OL, DL, and LB than WR

I think the corps look like this:

KB, Funch, Ginn, Brown, Cotch, and Boykin. 

After Brown Cotch makes it off veteran presence and the fact he bodes well as a WR3 and below. Boykin makes it off the fact he can play special teams while also proving to be a weapon in the passing game. I'm rooting for Hill but it's not a guarantee he cracks the lineup. Depends on preseason. People will be rounding out positions because of their versatility and value. (Throw Cotch in the value category because he comes relatively cheap while having plenty of experience. 

I think we could keep 6 and even 7 receivers given that Funchess is really a hybrid tight end and can play inside and guys like Boykin and Ginn  are both special team aces and reliable wide receivers. I would think that special teams is the reason these 2 do make the squad. I would think Cotchery ought to be the one worried given he can't do anything that can't be accomplished by someone else.

Archived