• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is A Division Championship A Successful Season?

Montsta

I just wanted to know everyones thoughts on this. To me, pretty much anything less than a ring is a dissappointment.

-We don't make the playoffs, I'm depressed watching those that did.

-We make the playoffs and leave early, I'm depressed and rooting heavily against whoever beat us with an unparalleled bitterness.

-We make it to the Superbowl and lose, my wife hates me until the start of next training camp, because I mope around the house for months in my jammies eating oversized bowls of Count Chocula talking about what might have been.

So I guess I'm asking with all these doom & gloom people on the board here, will you guys consider a winning record and divisional title to be a successful season for 2009?

less than two hours to more doom and gloom!
Yay?

[attach]31351[/attach]

I'd like to think of it this way:

- Win your own division, you're the AFC/NFC East/South/North/West Champions

- Win the game before the Super Bowl, you're the AFC/NFC Champions

- Win the SuperBowl, you're champions of the NFL

Still happy we won the NFC South last season.

(Oh, and there were these pests from

I wouldn't measure a successful season wit how down you are after it ends. As this is fundamentally a knockout tournament to the superbowl, statistically it is VERY hard to win.

Coming from a football (soccer) background, a successful season is finishing the season contending for the title, cup runs are a bonus. Therefore I am pretty happy if we win the division, provided we play good football. Any cup run(playoff run) is a bonus to the season.

You just can't measure a seasons success off of winning the superbowl, that way only one team ever has a good season, which just doesn't make too much sense.

I reckon, with the modern day Panthers having perenial seasions 7-9 and above we have lost the lows and thus expect more. So in our eyes we are dissapointed with the norm, despite it being a successful season in the eyes of other fans.

For this specific season though, I would be delighted with winning the division. We just have too many question marks in important places to be dissapointed with just making the playoffs.

Hope that made sense!!!

I wouldn't measure a successful season wit how down you are after it ends. As this is fundamentally a knockout tournament to the superbowl, statistically it is VERY hard to win.

Coming from a football (soccer) background, a successful season is finishing the season contending for the title, cup runs are a bonus. Therefore I am pretty happy if we win the division, provided we play good football. Any cup run(playoff run) is a bonus to the season.

You just can't measure a seasons success off of winning the superbowl, that way only one team ever has a good season, which just doesn't make too much sense.

I reckon, with the modern day Panthers having perenial seasions 7-9 and above we have lost the lows and thus expect more. So in our eyes we are dissapointed with the norm, despite it being a successful season in the eyes of other fans.

For this specific season though, I would be delighted with winning the division. We just have too many question marks in important places to be dissapointed with just making the playoffs.

Hope that made sense!!!

Made sense to me. That's the kind of answer I was looking for, whether I agree wholeheartedly with it or not. I want a ring every year, but I suppose even if we went 9-7 and made it to the playoffs as a wildcard, we would still be the envy of Detroit fans everywhere.

Which brings me to my next question:

Would you feel more fulfilled as a fan going to the NFCCG as a wild-card, or going to the divisional round only as a division champ?

I personally think every extra free week (I say free week cuz I pay a lot for Sunday Ticket) of Panther football is kick-ass, so I'd probably rather see us make it to the NFC Championship game, than the alternative like what happened last season.

To me, pretty much anything less than a ring is a dissappointment.

You must be disappointed alot!

To me, a successful season is one where every week, I honestly believe the Panthers can win. Take this season. Their preseason has been horrendous and yet, at this point, I really do believe they can beat Philly. And as long as I feel that way, they will have had a successful season for me - ring or no ring.

You must be disappointed alot!

To me, a successful season is one where every week, I honestly believe the Panthers can win. Take this season. Their preseason has been horrendous and yet, at this point, I really do believe they can beat Philly. And as long as I feel that way, they will have had a successful season for me - ring or no ring.

Don't get me wrong about the ring thing. I always will want a ring. And if we win a ring, I will want to repeat. And again and again.

Last season I watched DeAngelo run over defenders and watched Smitty win us a few games with some extraordinary catches. I was talking loud poo when we marched down on Arizona, telling my friends "That's how you play football!!!" (They are all Raider and 49er fans). And then when the poo fell apart I was pissed. Not to take away from the season, because it was a great ride from week one, and very much so reminded me of '03 the way it started with Jake throwing to Proehl to win it. But alas, we hit a wall named Larry Fitzgerald.

So I would say it was a successful year last year and I enjoyed it, but I hate to be satisfied with just that, because a teams championship window does not stay open for very long. Just look at Seattle, for a prime example of how quickly things can fall apart.

So I would say it was a successful year last year and I enjoyed it, but I hate to be satisfied with just that, because a teams championship window does not stay open for very long. Just look at Seattle, for a prime example of how quickly things can fall apart.

I hear ya.

To me, regular season wins are like having plain cake. It doesn't have the icing yet but it's still good so I'll eat as much of it as I can while I can. Now the post season is like having the cake with icing as well - taste even better. The SB, well now your talking about a big O dollop of ice cream maybe with a little chocolate fudge pored over the top. See, it starts of good and just keeps getting better:yesnod:

I've got a couple of other analogies but I don't think I can write that stuff on this board:drool5:

Archived