• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers OTA's - Biggest Questions on Offense

Jeremy Igo

This week OTA's begin and as such, we will have our first official look at the Carolina Panthers roster and a bit of what they are thinking as far as depth chart. 

Here are my top questions that may be answered this week. 

1. Offensive Tackles

I am assuming Oher will be starting on the left, but who will be on the right? Mike Remmers did an adequate job last season and the job may be his to lose. Jonathan Martin could push him immediately, but what about rookie Daryl Williams? The Panthers are very happy they landed this kid in the draft. I suspect he will start OTA's as a second or third string, but may slide into the starting role by preseason. 

2. Receivers 

Cam Newton comes into this years OTA's healthy enough to throw the ball and surrounded by many receivers he has experience with. Contrast this to last season when neither were true and it is difficult not to get excited about Cam's prospects this season. With Kelvin Benjamin sitting due to a sore hamstring, the other receivers will get more opportunity to make a case for a roster spot. Watching second round selection Devin Funchess line up in one on one drills across from Josh Norman is high on my list of things to watch. 

Boykin, Brown, Bersin, Hill could all be competing for one roster spot. That is the most talented competition the Panthers have seen at receiver in years. 

And don't forget the UDFA rookie Byrd out of USC. Byrd arguably had the best performance in rookie camp. Can he continue to mix it up with the veterans or will the challenge prove too much? 

3) Running Backs

Obviously Jonathan Stewart is the starting back and appears to be healthy. From there the depth chart gets quite foggy. Does Auburn rookie Cameron Artis-Payne automatically move up to the number 2 position? Or perhaps Fozzy Whitaker gets the opportunity to prove he can be an every down back. And what about this speedy Jordan Todman kid? Where does he fit in the offense aside from his special teams returner roll. 

Don't forget the dark horse Brandon Wegher, who impressed in rookie camp and caught the eye of Ron Rivera. He snaps will be limited. He needs to show that he retained what was taught to him at rookie camp and is now able to execute it. If he can do that, he may have a shot at moving up the ranks. 

For Panthers fans, the good news is that for the next few weeks there will be actual Panthers news worth discussing. After that, the longest month of the offseason (the dreaded July) will feature lists, polls, predictions, and other things that keep us sane until training camp. 

Michael oher is gunna be beast

Funchess will be beast.. So will Byrd who in IMO.. Offer the same thing. As far as philly...........Accept BRYD has ELITE speed on grass and IGO said he looks good so far in camp. Both are small.. Philly has proven to be good on 3RD down..  Reliable.. But gettleman said we be turnt up bottom roster.. Ginn back..BYRF better? I got that hunchr

​ArtisPayne THE NEXT poo

​bbibig sshhiittt

Michael oher is gunna be beast

Funchess will be beast.. So will Byrd who in IMO.. Offer the same thing. As far as philly...........Accept BRYD has ELITE speed on grass and IGO said he looks good so far in camp. Both are small.. Philly has proven to be good on 3RD down..  Reliable.. But gettleman said we be turnt up bottom roster.. Ginn back..BYRF better? I got that hunchr

​ArtisPayne THE NEXT poo

​bbibig sshhiittt

Drinking this early?

Is there an impending battle between Amini and Norwell? That should be worth watching as well.

​I don't believe so. 

Gettleman and Rivera are probably more excited about Norwell than any other lineman on the team according to my sources. 

Don't forget about Dickson... When the line started holding it's own towards the end of last year he was able to run more routes instead of blocking and had some clutch plays. I'm really really excited about what this offense can do with a healthy Cam, a capable #2 TE, a true workhorse back in Stew, a great interior line and hopefully improved tackle play, and KB, Olsen and Funch and Brown/Ginn. This is the most excited I've ever been about our team's shot at a Super Bowl.

I'd like to also hear more praise about our first round pick Shaq Thompson from these OTA's. I know he's expected to have a steep learning curve since he played multiple positions in college, but we also expect our first round picks to have an immediate impact so hopefully we see some flashes of his potential even if he still has a lot to learn. We thought that about Benjamin last year but he still impressed immediately.

I'd like to also hear more praise about our first round pick Shaq Thompson from these OTA's. I know he's expected to have a steep learning curve since he played multiple positions in college, but we also expect our first round picks to have an immediate impact so hopefully we see some flashes of his potential even if he still has a lot to learn. We thought that about Benjamin last year but he still impressed immediately.

​He will miss OTA's because of his school schedule. 

Archived