• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Feds block nfl from suspending players

Cold Cat

So I was just checking up on my fantasy lineup for the weekend and I came across this article "Suspension ruling has fantasy implications"

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/fantasy/

A federal judge has blocked the NFL from suspending Vikings DL Kevin Williams and Pat Williams, Saints DL Charles Grant and Will Smith and RB Deuce McAllister for violating the league’s anti-doping policy. As a result, it appears these players will be eligible to play in Week 14.

If this is posted somewhere else then my apoligies. But, whats the deal? Why's the gov't interveining in the NFL. Can Mr. Commish not handle things in house anymore? I'm really not a fan of Gov't intervention in any sports just asking what do you think about this and/or why did the gov't do this?

It wasn't really that the government did or did not do something; these players sought an injunction and it had to be dealt with in a courtroom.

Yeah, I get out of the article that the Judge just wants to know what in more depth whats going on and blah. But really couldn't the NFL and the NFLPA handle things between each other. This could just be opening a door for some darn congressional committee being formed to waste more of our money to find out if NFL players are dopeing. The whole MLB and steriods thing was just dumb with the Gov't involving themselves. Anyways I understand what the article is saying. I just believe that involving the gov't in sports is a bad thing.

Yeah, I get out of the article that the Judge just wants to know what in more depth whats going on and blah. But really couldn't the NFL and the NFLPA handle things between each other. This could just be opening a door for some darn congressional committee being formed to waste more of our money to find out if NFL players are dopeing. The whole MLB and steriods thing was just dumb with the Gov't involving themselves. Anyways I understand what the article is saying. I just believe that involving the gov't in sports is a bad thing.

I completely agree. The only difference is this time the players opened the can of worms. They involved the government and any reprecations that come out of it will be on them.

On the other hand, I can see WHY the players wanted to block the suspensions. The specifics of this case required disgression, and the NFL just refused to give it.

I completely agree. The only difference is this time the players opened the can of worms. They involved the government and any reprecations that come out of it will be on them.

On the other hand, I can see WHY the players wanted to block the suspensions. The specifics of this case required disgression, and the NFL just refused to give it.

Other than wanting to see what others thought about the gov't getting involved I thought it would be nice to discuss about the players in mention because some of them play for NO. I see that the players side of the story but come on. If your job is a professional sport where doping is illegal then why would you even want to be under the spotlight because your taking a masking agent. I mean isn't the pill they were taking to lose "water weight". Why would they want to lose that? I may just be talking outta my head but don't players need water weight. i.e. water in their bodies they play a very physical sport and could risk dehydrateing themselves. Which could cause a number of issues.

Other than wanting to see what others thought about the gov't getting involved I thought it would be nice to discuss about the players in mention because some of them play for NO. I see that the players side of the story but come on. If your job is a professional sport where doping is illegal then why would you even want to be under the spotlight because your taking a masking agent. I mean isn't the pill they were taking to lose "water weight". Why would they want to lose that? I may just be talking outta my head but don't players need water weight. i.e. water in their bodies they play a very physical sport and could risk dehydrateing themselves. Which could cause a number of issues.

Yeah there is a health risk, but remember that players have to make weight for certain positions, which is why Kris Jenkins was always in trouble when he came for training camp weighing 400 pounds. Getting rid of your water weight's a good way to lose at least ten pounds quick.

Yeah there is a health risk, but remember that players have to make weight for certain positions, which is why Kris Jenkins was always in trouble when he came for training camp weighing 400 pounds. Getting rid of your water weight's a good way to lose at least ten pounds quick.

I understand that they are supposed to maintain a certain weight and that water weight is the first and easy way to lose weight quick. But if you were an NFL player why would you take something that could link you to using steroids. Hop on a darn tread-mil for an hour. Sit in a sauna. There are lots of ways to lose water weight and fast. Why implicate yourself with something with a black cloud around it. I know the players are saying that they didn't know that the drug has been used before to mask steroids. But your making millions of dollars and have team doctors and all sorts of medical personel to tell you about what your taking. Or are the players just lining up and taking whatever is handed to them. To many un-knowns. I know i'm speculating.

I understand that they are supposed to maintain a certain weight and that water weight is the first and easy way to lose weight quick. But if you were an NFL player why would you take something that could link you to using steroids. Hop on a darn tread-mil for an hour. Sit in a sauna. There are lots of ways to lose water weight and fast. Why implicate yourself with something with a black cloud around it. I know the players are saying that they didn't know that the drug has been used before to mask steroids. But your making millions of dollars and have team doctors and all sorts of medical personel to tell you about what your taking. Or are the players just lining up and taking whatever is handed to them. To many un-knowns. I know i'm speculating.

Well perhaps there is a lack of responsibility involved...these big boys (and Deuce Macallister, apparently) can't resist that third McDonald's cheesebuger, so they add a lot of weight and can only get rid of it in time with water weight pills.

That being said, I still don't believe they should've been suspended at all.

Did they test positive for a banned substance? Are they set guidelines for testing positive for a banned substance? If these players broke the rules, they should accept the consequences for their actions. Our "thug" wide receiver who punched a team mate didn't appeal anything. He knew he broke the rules and accepted the consequences.

Did they test positive for a banned substance? Are they set guidelines for testing positive for a banned substance? If these players broke the rules, they should accept the consequences for their actions. Our "thug" wide receiver who punched a team mate didn't appeal anything. He knew he broke the rules and accepted the consequences.

The issue here is that the players tried to make sure there was nothing banned in the diuretic; they checked the labels and contacted the company and such. And they were pretty much lied to. They had no idea they were taking a banned substance.

Or maybe I just like this rebellion against the Big Brother force that has become the NFL, who knows.

Archived