• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Teams Conspired to Push Painkillers

CelibatePimp

Hundreds of former players have filed a lawsuit claiming all 32 NFL teams, their doctors, trainers and medical staffs obtained and provided painkillers to players — often illegally — as part of a decades-long conspiracy to keep them on the field without regard for their long-term health.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/players-nfl-teams-conspired-push-painkillers-31213182

Didn't read the article yet, but I remember hearing specifically about illegal practices like crossing state boarders and illegal prescriptions. I believe this lawsuit will hurt the NFL. This one is kind of a slam dunk.

I also remember hearing about forced steroid use in the 60s. As for complaining at the time and not later...the power of a paycheck compels you.

I can't remember which player it was from the 1970s Steelers who said it was common practice for the trainers to come by after each practice and hand the players a handful of pills. He said no one said specifically you had to take them, but it was practice that you did, and you didn't ask what it was. He said there were probably vitamins, steroids, painkillers and uppers in the mix.

That was then, this is now, though. I think the pain killers dispensed by the teams might be a different situation. Almost all players play with a certain amount of pain, some with an incredible amount. The teams provide the pain killers under the direction of a physician not to keep the players doped up, but to provide a monitor and control over the situation.  The illegality they face is when they are crossing state lines to other games and the teams are transporting and distributing those drugs without a local attending physician/dispensary.

I think the NFL is looking to hire on an alternate physician in each team city to be on call for visiting teams so that the law isn't broken in the future. 

That being said, there's always the chance that some of the trainers or staffs are supplementing the policy with other items. Of course, with the random drug testing done in the NFL, those problems would probably weed themselves out pretty quickly.

I can't remember which player it was from the 1970s Steelers who said it was common practice for the trainers to come by after each practice and hand the players a handful of pills. He said no one said specifically you had to take them, but it was practice that you did, and you didn't ask what it was. He said there were probably vitamins, steroids, painkillers and uppers in the mix.

That was then, this is now, though. I think the pain killers dispensed by the teams might be a different situation. Almost all players play with a certain amount of pain, some with an incredible amount. The teams provide the pain killers under the direction of a physician not to keep the players doped up, but to provide a monitor and control over the situation.  The illegality they face is when they are crossing state lines to other games and the teams are transporting and distributing those drugs without a local attending physician/dispensary.

I think the NFL is looking to hire on an alternate physician in each team city to be on call for visiting teams so that the law isn't broken in the future. 

That being said, there's always the chance that some of the trainers or staffs are supplementing the policy with other items. Of course, with the random drug testing done in the NFL, those problems would probably weed themselves out pretty quickly.

What is that Dr. Is a fan of the Opposing Team of the Panthers? LOL. He or She could say no, or not prescribe the right things. I guess you would have to find a "Neutral" provider.

I also remember hearing about forced steroid use in the 60s. As for complaining at the time and not later...the power of a paycheck compels you.

If it's the paycheck that is the cause, then it is hardly forced. People have been known quit jobs or blow the whistle on corruption from time to time. Granted, it doesn't happen often because it takes guts and most people are sheep....

If it's the paycheck that is the cause, then it is hardly forced. People have been known quit jobs or blow the whistle on corruption from time to time. Granted, it doesn't happen often because it takes guts and most people are sheep....

Those rare instances only occur when someone values the fight against the wrong doing more than their personal paycheck. I'm not really casting judgment on most people. I think it's human to have that self-preservation attitude. Most people will only speak up when someone else does it first or if they have nothing to lose.

I think most people come from the perspective of being righteous won't put food in my kids mouths but not saying anything about a situation that doesn't seem super egregious will sustain my ability to feed my kids. I think there is a certain level of rationalization of events at the time of people thinking it's not so bad or at least not bad enough that would cause me to stand up. Then, years later, their perspective changes, their situation changes, someone else stands up and they say yeah you know what...that was messed up. I'll stand up too.

Archived