• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank Garcia thinks 6 years 150 million for Cam

ctrcat

Indeed, it likely WOULD be worse than my first guess.

Which actually makes a contract for $22-25 million over 5 to 6 years with around $80-90 million guaranteed LOOK EVEN BETTER.

Why?

Because either (1) he's gonna make that guaranteed $$$ under the franchise tag over much less time than a long-term, more team-friendly contract anyway, or (2) some other team WILL be happy to pay it to him.

No way in hell they guarantee 80-90 million

No way in hell they guarantee 80-90 million

Probably not.

All I'm saying is guaranteeing $80-90 million over a 5 or 6 year contract is STILL better than guaranteeing nearly that same amount using the franchise tag over only 3 years.

Probably not.

All I'm saying is guaranteeing $80-90 million over a 5 or 6 year contract is STILL better than guaranteeing nearly that same amount using the franchise tag over only 3 years.

I'm late to this particular tangent.  Are you talking about a fully guaranteed contract or a guarantee as part of a larger contract?

I'm late to this particular tangent. Are you talking about a fully guaranteed contract or a guarantee as part of a larger contract?

I'm saying that applying the franchise tag on a player fully guarantees his contract. If you did that 3 years in a row on Cam after 2015 you are likely paying him $80+ million in GUARANTEED money.

If you sign him to a six year, $150 million contract with $80 million guaranteed, you've just helped the team.

In other words, Cam is going to get his money. The choices are if we want to make it hard through the franchise tag, team-friendly through a long-term contract, or let him get that money from another team.

"Cam isn't worth even $18 million a year" as some want to say is NOT one of those choices... because it isn't realistic in today's market.

I'm saying that applying the franchise tag on a player fully guarantees his contract. If you did that 3 years in a row on Cam after 2015 you are likely paying him $80+ million in GUARANTEED money.

If you sign him to a six year, $150 million contract with $80 million guaranteed, you've just helped the team.

In other words, Cam is going to get his money. The choices are if we want to make it hard through the franchise tag, team-friendly through a long-term contract, or let him get that money from another team.

"Cam isn't worth even $18 million a year" as some want to say is NOT one of those choices... because it isn't realistic in today's market.

Gotcha.

What are your feelings on the type of contract that's been discussed for Russell Wilson (less money, but all of it guaranteed)?

Gotcha.

What are your feelings on the type of contract that's been discussed for Russell Wilson (less money, but all of it guaranteed)?

I think that would be up to the needs of the individual player.

To me, if I was a proven NFL QB like Newton or Wilson, I wouldn't like "less but fully guaranteed". Because QBs that have proven they can play in the league tend to have long careers. They make more money with a big money contract.

Now if I was a RB or LB? The high-impact position that can end your career in a split second? Give me the guaranteed money.

JMO.

Probably not.

That I definitely agree with.

I think that would be up to the needs of the individual player.

To me, if I was a proven NFL QB like Newton or Wilson, I wouldn't like "less but fully guaranteed". Because QBs that have proven they can play in the league tend to have long careers. They make more money with a big money contract.

Now if I was a RB or LB? The high-impact position that can end your career in a split second? Give me the guaranteed money.

JMO.

Recent years definitely show that you don't have to be proven in this league to get a big paycheck.

Archived