• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank Garcia thinks 6 years 150 million for Cam

ctrcat

We'll look back in hindsight and realize that the biggest mistake Gettleman made was not locking Cam up long-term at the earliest opportunity. Waiting and letting him play under the 5th year option is going to cost us tens of millions in cap space long-term.

Who's to say they haven't been trying? Good chance Cam and his agent haven't been in a rush. 

I don't get the obsession with making Cam the highest paid player in the league, as if that somehow makes him elite. It helps the team in no way possible, especially when he's never led the league in any major passing stat. I think 18 per year is fine.

I can see your thinking on18 mil, but what you're not taking into account is how to judge his prowess as a runner, or how that plays into the formula/definition of elite.  That has to stand for something.  In Cam's case "dual threat" just isn't a nicety on paper or a catch phrase on ESPN, it means something concrete on the field.  We've all seen Cam's ge ne sais qua. To gloss over or pretend it isn't there is being foolhardy at worst, or disingenuous at best.  Moreover, you add in the fact that we didn't help Cam's case---thus, our own---by not sufficiently putting him into a situation to succeed last year, then you can't fully blame him (or judge him) for not playing to his full potential.  But, even without being in an optimal situation, he still led us to back-to-back championships. Mind you, he didn't do it by himself, but he was an integral part of it.

Moreover, salaries are increasing in general, so what was sticker shock five years ago is not so much today.

I think this WAS true. But Ryan Tannehill just changed the whole landscape of this thing.

No, he didn't. Tannehill basically traded in uncertainty for an extra $7m in fully guaranteed money. Phins ended up getting extra cap room in 2016 and option to pay Tanny well below market for a good QB in 2017.

I can see your thinking on18 mil, but what you're not taking into account is how to judge his prowess as a runner, or how that plays into the formula/definition of elite. That has to stand for something. In Cam's case "dual threat" just isn't a nicety on paper or a catch phrase on ESPN, it means something concrete on the field. We've all seen Cam's ge ne sais qua. To gloss over or pretend it isn't there is being foolhardy at worst, or disingenuous at best. Moreover, you add in the fact that we didn't help Cam's case---thus, our own---by not sufficiently putting him into a situation to succeed last year, then you can't fully blame him (or judge him) for not playing to his full potential. But, even without being in an optimal situation, he still led us to back-to-back championships. Mind you, he didn't do it by himself, but he was an integral part of it.

Moreover, salaries are increasing in general, so what was sticker shock five years ago is not so much today.

Except that if you weren't told, Cam has never been the leading QB rusher since entering the league. He's been third among QBs the last two years, behind RW and Kap last year both of who passed for higher number of yds, TDs and passer ratings compared to Cam. I don't consider any of those two elite.

If Cam wants a big contract, give it to him, but decrease the guaranteed money.  For Example, I would give him six years at $120m with $60-70m guaranteed. If he wants six years at $150m, then guarantee about $45-50m guaranteed.  Frankly, I do not see why this is so hard.  If you want to be paid on potential, then bet on yourself, Cam.  If you want the security of guaranteed money, then take a lesser deal.

You do realize that Matt Ryan's career passer rating is above 91 and that Ryan is 11th all time so far?

No way I think that Cam gets a 25 mil per year contract. I absolutely love Cam, but that would be insane.

Matt Ryan is 30 years old and only has 1 career playoff win.

He's also 4-4 vs Cam.

Miami overpaid for their QB. You've got to throw that one out the window. 

If I were the Panthers, I'd drag my feet this year on the negotiations. If Cam performs at the top of the league and we go deep into the playoffs, his pay should reflect it.

If he gets injured or tanks, you're not on the hook. 

And I hate to say it, but right now our wins are slightly more because of our defense. Do you want to have to tell Luke, sorry, but we've just got too much tied up in Cam to pay you? 

Sometimes the greatest thing a team can get is a franchise quarterback. Sometimes the worst thing a team can get is a franchise QB. Patriots and Tom Brady or Chicago and Jay Cutler... vast difference in bang for the buck.

Except that if you weren't told, Cam has never been the leading QB rusher since entering the league. He's been third among QBs the last two years, behind RW and Kap last year both of who passed for higher number of yds, TDs and passer ratings compared to Cam. I don't consider any of those two elite.

Sure, but you also have to take into account the weapons and protection.  I could be wrong, surely, but put Cam on those teams and they do just as well if not better.  

As for "elite", I think that this is less an "elite" argument, and more of a "this is 2015" argument.  Economics and standard of living increases basically demand that today's up and coming star players get paid more than their predecessors. 

Archived