• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Listen up! There are exactly two "safe" Panthers receivers.

Jeremy Igo

Everyone is arguing over which six receivers to keep but last year we only kept 5 on the 53 man roster, and if I'm not mistaken only 4 were active on some game days.

We could easily carry an extra but I'm not sure if the decision is as easy as keeping the 6 most talented. Versatility, special teams, experience, and practice squad eligibility will all probably play a part in the decision making process.

A lot of people criticized DG for turning over the entire receiving group last year and Cam not having chemistry with his receivers. Also I'm not sure we will rush Funchess into a starting role as quickly as KB. If this is the case I could see something like this on game day:

WR 1: KB

WR 2: Cotchery

WR 3: Ginn (based on return exp and signing bonus I think he is closer to guaranteed then most of them)

WR 4: Funchess

WR 5: ?

Cotchery could easily start the year as the so called #2 receiver and then Funchess slowly worked into that role.

WR 5 might not necessarily be the most talented receiver but the guy that can contribute on special teams or has the versatility to play all 3 receiver spots.

WR 6 , who probably won't be active on game day, could be a player we don't want to run the risk of losing to other teams. Someone like Hill could have a really good preseason and fall into this category.

Regardless of what we fans think based off of last year I think this years preseason and training camp will determine the last 2-3 spots.

1- KB

2- Funchess

3- Ginn Jr.

4. Brown

5. Bersin

6. Cotchery

The Hill ship has sailed gentlemen. I would love to be wrong but I have hard time believing that a guy who's struck out for multiple teams and couldn't even rise to the low bar of our WR squad last season will suddenly become the Randy Moss his speed teases. He's had every opportunity in the world. 

As for the battle for #5, Cotch has got vet leadership on his side but I mostly remember his key drops while Bersin had a lot of key catches.

yeah, cause veterans at ither positions are going to be able to help get the most out of/develop our young receivers.

I see the light now. Thank you so much.

Is Ginn not a veteran WR? Are you happy now? Btw I guess no WR on any NFL could develop without veteran receivers, that's some good logic right there. Obviously there's no wr coach to help them, thank you so much for explaining the history of wr development in the league. 

Todman has been overlooked it seems by everybody. I'm excited with all the competition that the positions have!

Not "everybody". I have seen the guy in action playing behind MJD.

Competition will rule the day, and a lot fans' feelings will be hurt cone final cuts.

Archived