• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Listen up! There are exactly two "safe" Panthers receivers.

Jeremy Igo

There are exactly two "safe" Panthers receivers. And by safe, I am saying their roster spot is 100% certain. 

Kelvin Benjamin

Devin Funchess

Everyone else, and I do mean everyone, is trying out this year to make the team. Veterans, rookies, and everyone in between. 

That means 10 players will be trying to grab one of likely four roster spots. ( I see them keeping 6, not 7 considering special teams help was brought in at other positions)

Bersin

Boykin

Brown

Brown

Byrd

Cotchery 

Ginn

Hill 

Lucas

Presley

All of these guys have a fair shake at making the final cut, which will make for probably the best training camp competition out there this Summer. 

What more can you ask for? 

Don't see how Ginn's not 100% for his returning because we didn't add anybody else with return ability. Still convinced Philly is a 100% lock but even if he's not I'm 100% sure he'll earn a spot in camp.

Don't see how Ginn's not 100% for his returning because we didn't add anybody else with return ability. Still convinced Philly is a 100% lock but even if he's not I'm 100% sure he'll earn a spot in camp.

What if Byrd shows he can do returns?

Sure, some players are more likely to make the squad, like Ginn and Cotchery, but you cannot say with the same certainty that they will be here like you can with Kelvin and Devin 

Can we just call Kelvin and Devin.... Delvin ?

Funjamin?

What if Byrd shows he can do returns?

I'd still think Ginn would be basically locked in this year given his experience with returns.  I'm hoping the team has proven to themselves that a returner who is comfortable in their own skin back there is just as important as having a guy who has the physical tools to do it.  

On that same line of questioning though I'd sort of be surprised if Byrd doesn't stick if he shows that he is a functional returner and functional in the "run super fast in simple routes to pull the defense deep" receiving role.  I'm not hopeful that he does that, really, but if he can do both I think we'll see him on the roster at the end of the WR depth chart.

There are a ton of guys on that list but remarkably few outside of the last two draft picks who make me sit up and go "crap I'd hate to see him go" so I'm not sure it's out of the realm of possibility for both Ginn and [any other really fast receiver who has some return skills] to remain.

Archived