• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Massive blocking fullback not new to Shula

Jeremy Igo

Having him in on obvious passing downs would keep us from having to leave Olsen in to block. That in itself is a huge thing for the offense. Of course, so would be an o-line that didn't require an extra roster spot taken up just because they suck.

His highlights are very impressive. Would have been totally fine with him in the fifth round (in the Mayo slot). Seems like he could be a great fit for our scheme. Tolbert might need to be looking over his shoulder (and I like Tolbert, but he is not a true blocking fullback).

With RR harping on the need of players needing to be versatile, the FB would also have to have hands, be able to run the ball effectively and be able to line up at TE. If we do keep a FB, that player would have a different role than the FB's of the early 2000's who were on the field primarily as a blocker.

Very true and a good post.  Hoover was one of those as you discribe.  It will be interesting to see just what, when, and how the coaching staff will utilize all the backs we have.  I'm excited.

I like Ward. He has all the characteristics that a good blocking back needs:

Low center of gravity

Blocks low and commits to block until play is over.

Has excellent feet for a full back, very quick for 250lbs.

Obliterates the competition (as witnessed by the massive blocks delivered to corners)

Not afraid to catch the ball.

Just plain runs people over.

Very Blue-collar, I hope we keep this guy.

As a runner, sure.

As a blocker, he was good, but he wasn't the kind of blocker Griffith was.

Hoover was more of a Bob Christian type fullback.

I never thought I would see the day that I disagree with Mr. Scot.  Hoover did what he was called on to do.  He blocked very well, in my opinion.  I'm sorry Mr. Scot, please don't hate me.  Please don't seek the parrott on me.  They hurt.

I never thought I would see the day that I disagree with Mr. Scot.  Hoover did what he was called on to do.  He blocked very well, in my opinion.  I'm sorry Mr. Scot, please don't hate me.  Please don't seek the parrott on me.  They hurt.

Nah.  I disagree, but I respect your opinion.

Archived