• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cameron Artis-Payne Impresses

Jeremy Igo

Coming into rookie camp I was admittedly fairly unfamiliar with Cameron Artis-Payne, one of the fifth round selections by the Carolina Panthers in the NFL Draft. I had read a bit about him in the media and saw things that called him a "bowling ball" and compared him to Mike Tolbert. So when I arrived at camp, I was shocked to find out that he was none of those things. 

In fact, who I saw was a player that more closely resembles the previous owner of the Panthers #34 jersey, Deangelo Williams. Artis-Payne is actually 5 pounds lighter than Deangelo Williams, and has an inch more height than he did. 

Artis-Payne appeared to be much shiftier than many give him credit for. Frequently on his handoffs he would move laterally in an instant to find the hole. His 5'10 frame allowed him to disappear behind the offensive line for a brief instant, exactly what I saw from Deangelo Williams' first rookie camp many seasons ago. Artis-Payne showed good patience and followed his blockers extremely closely, sometimes resting his forearm on their back to make sure. 

Running routes out of the backfield is where Artis-Payne really started to shine. He is a very fluid route runner and adjusts well to the ball, hips turning and hands in perfect position to make the grab. With as many single back sets as the Panthers run, this is a necessary skill if a running back wants to see the field on gamedays. 

cameron-artis-payne-panthers.jpg

Because of CBA rules, we won't be able to really dig in and evaluate Artis-Payne until training camp. Because of the no-contact rules it is impossible to see how he responds to that first hit or how he holds up in pass blocking against a blitzing linebacker or safety. So until August, I can only say that Artis-Payne easily passes the eyeball test for a NFL running back. 

View full article

I kept saying that he looked on what little video I saw of him like a skinny MJD.

Seemed to accelerate quickly to top speed, even if top speed isn't game breaking speed.  Not that I really care about that, 40 yard runs aren't as important to me as being able to get 4-6 yards on a first down to keep Cam out of trouble.

Hopefully he can pick up the little things in TC and make the team as a cheap back up to Stew.

The receiving info is interesting, he only had like 15 catches in his career. I always read that and his age were his biggest knocks, and the reason he wasn't considered among the top ten or so backs. Hell, Daniel Jeremiah (one of the better analysts) compared him to Andre Williams, who didn't catch a football in college.

When I first saw his highlights what struck me is that he could cut 90 degrees on the head of a pin. I don't know where people were getting the Tolbert comparison, this is a shifty back with good vision. Very much like a young DLo.

Coming into rookie camp I was admittedly fairly unfamiliar with Cameron Artis-Payne, one of the fifth round selections by the Carolina Panthers in the NFL Draft. I had read a bit about him in the media and saw things that called him a "bowling ball" and compared him to Mike Tolbert. So when I arrived at camp, I was shocked to find out that he was none of those things. 

In fact, who I saw was a player that more closely resembles the previous owner of the Panthers #34 jersey, Deangelo Williams. Artis-Payne is actually 5 pounds lighter than Deangelo Williams, and has an inch more height than he did. 

cameron-artis-payne-panthers-2.jpg

Artis-Payne appeared to be much shiftier than many give him credit for. Frequently on his handoffs he would move laterally in an instant to find the hole. His 5'10 frame allowed him to disappear behind the offensive line for a brief instant, exactly what I saw from Deangelo Williams' first rookie camp many seasons ago. Artis-Payne showed good patience and followed his blockers extremely closely, sometimes resting his forearm on their back to make sure. 

Running routes out of the backfield is where Artis-Payne really started to shine. He is a very fluid route runner and adjusts well to the ball, hips turning and hands in perfect position to make the grab. With as many single back sets as the Panthers run, this is a necessary skill if a running back wants to see the field on gamedays. 

cameron-artis-payne-panthers.jpg

Because of CBA rules, we won't be able to really dig in and evaluate Artis-Payne until training camp. Because of the no-contact rules it is impossible to see how he responds to that first hit or how he holds up in pass blocking against a blitzing linebacker or safety. So until August, I can only say that Artis-Payne easily passes the eyeball test for a NFL running back. 

I agree with all of this, but I knew it already. :P

With regard to taking a hit, he played regularly in the SEC for 2 years (one as a starter), took many big shots, and never once was slow in getting up.  Frankly, I don't remember he or his starter predecessor at Auburn (Tre Mason, now of the Rams) missing a down, much less a game.  

And CAP is a master of the one-cut game.  One-cut and he's through the line.  Very patient.  And, as much as many talk about him running "upright", when he's cutting through the line after his cut, he's actually got a good, low pad-level.  Not great top-end speed, but he's got enough game-speed to break away from linebackers and most safeties, I think.

Archived