• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How Funchess sold Gettleman so hard?

Funchess:

"I'm the most versatile wideout that you could possibly have. I can go inside and out with my speed and the quickness that I have. You're getting a dynamic player you can line up anywhere. "That's the new style and what people need."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2015/04/25/devin-funchess-nfl-draft/26379653/

Gettles: SOLD! Three picks! 1st Round grade!

One thing I've learned in the 12 or so years I've been closely following panthers football is that anyone who pretends to know how draft picks are going to pan out is full of poo. That counts double for the so called draft analysts. Here's a short list of picks that were panned by fans when they were drafted: Cam Newton, Thomas Davis, Ryan Kalil. The Jarrett and Pickles picks were loved at the time. Point being: chill the f out dude. Gettleman has a track record of making great picks. Give him the benefit out the doubt and wait and see. We don't know whats going to happen.

One thing I've learned in the 12 or so years I've been closely following panthers football is that anyone who pretends to know how draft picks are going to pan out is full of poo. That counts double for the so called draft analysts. Here's a short list of picks that were panned by fans when they were drafted: Cam Newton, Thomas Davis, Ryan Kalil. The Jarrett and Pickles picks were loved at the time. Point being: chill the f out dude. Gettleman has a track record of making great picks. Give him the benefit out the doubt and wait and see. We don't know whats going to happen.

I think you meant to say, "if anyone pretends to know how every draft pick is going to pan out, their full of it." I think gettleman, through his draft board, only puts players that he can confidently place at the next level (with decreasing confidence as the rounds continue). Everyone else is not on the list. Certain teams pick players for their positions of need, they get bit and then have to pick another one next year. If they had picked the best football player, they would at least have a solid contributor this and next year with this approach. FA is where you fill up holes with guys on the cheap so that you can select the best football players.

We gave up two picks. Please try to comprehend this, and what 'give up' really means.

I know what you are saying here but technically we did give up three for Funch since the choice actually required a pick. So 2 for the trade and 1 for the pick is 3.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I know what you are saying here but technically we did give up three for Funch since the choice actually required a pick. So 2 for the trade and 1 for the pick is 3.

Doing the math, the Rams also have up a pick, resulting in a net loss of 2 picks.

I think you meant to say, "if anyone pretends to know how every draft pick is going to pan out, their full of it." I think gettleman, through his draft board, only puts players that he can confidently place at the next level (with decreasing confidence as the rounds continue). Everyone else is not on the list. Certain teams pick players for their positions of need, they get bit and then have to pick another one next year. If they had picked the best football player, they would at least have a solid contributor this and next year with this approach. FA is where you fill up holes with guys on the cheap so that you can select the best football players.

This is absolutely not what I meant. The draft is an educated crap shoot. The best talent evaluators are still playing guessing games, but they will hit more often. My post was in response to the OP saying that Gentleman got played. I trust his talent evaluation and will assume he made the right decision until proven otherwise based on on the field performance.

Maybe it's semantics but yes the trade cost was a net of 2 picks but the actual player was a net of 3 picks.

No...we got their pick, they got ours.  We didn't lose anything, neither did they.  We give up 2 other draft picks we are minus 2.

We gave up 2.

Archived