• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Practice Drill

Jeremy Igo

I remember the old days of doing drills in practice, and sometimes wondering why the heck I was doing them :lol:

Actually just started doing a drill with my flag kids where I make three of them at a time close their eyes while the quarterback moves around to a different spot.  When I say "go" they open their eyes, and for one of them the football is already on its way.  They have to see it, react quickly and catch it.

They've actually told me this is one of their favorite drills (I didn't think they'd like it).

My father used to make me run at a tree and would throw the ball right at it where I would be forced to catch the ball and slam into the tree at full speed. He said it would get me used to getting hit when I caught the ball. Maybe its a less sadistic version of that.

Tell them the rest of the story.....

That tree, Warren Sapp  went on to a 14-year career in the NFL. 

My father used to make me run at a tree and would throw the ball right at it where I would be forced to catch the ball and slam into the tree at full speed. He said it would get me used to getting hit when I caught the ball. Maybe its a less sadistic version of that.

LOL  I use to swing several big mud tire on ropes hanging from tree and have my 75 pound son middle school son run through them to toughen him up for football.  Damn I bet that could have been child abuse the way those tires laid up out.  But I guarantee he was the toughest pound for pound kid on the field.  On C team he played nose guard at 75 pounds and would dive between the center's legs at the snap to grab the QB by the ankle and bring him down.

The next year in JV he put on a few more pounds and the other teams were wise to his move so the coaches moved him to a hybrid DE/LB.  He couldn't be stopped around the corner.  On varsity they moved him around from DE to LB to CB.  He played against DeAndre Hopkins his senior year and held him down to zero receptions for the game.

Think your father abused you fam.

Video of a defensive line drill with Coach Eric Washington...

Total Access: Get the hands down

You might notice in this clip that there's a new number 76.  It's Ohio State DE Steve Miller.

I hope that is not how they train for the pass rush. That is horrible. Very inefficient. Complete waste of energy and time. Horrible angles. Poor body positioning for a finishing rip or swim.

I hope that is not how they train for the pass rush. That is horrible. Very inefficient. Complete waste of energy and time. Horrible angles. Poor body positioning for a finishing rip or swim.

The purpose of that drill is to learn to swat away the hands of offensive linemen.

Archived