• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UDFA Damiere Byrd - WR - South Carolina

Jeremy Igo

I hope he takes cotchery or bersin's spot

If he only learns 3 or 4 routes, I'd rather see him on the field than bersin. We need more speed and he has it.

I'm done with the feel good story from Wofford . That experiment should be over.

40 times can give you an idea but some people know how to run in a straight line using all of their body.

When a football is being held, it changes things. I think the speed Funch and Brown with a football in their hands makes the comparison of them to fast players legit versus just a 40 time.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

i've followed Byrd through his career at South Carolina-- 

my impressions over the course of that would be:

he's tiny, will need to pack on some weight to not get absolutely destroyed in the NFL.

he's a great deep threat, but the Gamecocks rarely had someone who could hit him in stride, which I think Cam could do all day long.

this last year, he did show that he was more than just a "Go route" kind of guy, but as others have reiterated, lots of work for him to do there.

I feel like if we are able to give him a 'redshirt' year on the practice squad, if he bulks up/gets a little bit stronger, and starts to learn how to run better (more diverse) routes, he could be a sneaky good deep threat. 

With athletes all over the field for the Gamecocks, everyone always said that Byrd was hands down the fastest guy on the team, FWIW.

40 times can give you an idea but some people know how to run in a straight line using all of their body.

When a football is being held, it changes things. I think the speed Funch and Brown with a football in their hands makes the comparison of them to fast players legit versus just a 40 time.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Have you seen Byrd play? I agree with you in their being a difference in game speed vs. track speed. But if you think Brown or Funchess are as fast as Byrd in pads - I promise you that is not the case. There are a lot of things Byrd isn't. But he is most certainly quite fast on a football field.

Why are we cutting vets and putting Rookie UDFA not only on the roster but in starting roles after one day of unpadded rookie practice. Referring to some of these post.

Nobody here said he should be a starter. We have 2 "vets" in our group of wideouts. Ginn's a lock as a returner so that leaves just Cotchery. As it stands right now he's the 5th best wide receiver on the team and offers no upside in the longterm. It would be foolish to keep him as our #5 over a young guy with upside like Byrd if the young guy's play is worthy of a spot.

This kid is a midget. He is going to get killed when he starts taking NFL hits.

How the hell is he going to be able to block anyone or get off blocks?

That's definitely a valid concern. To be fair though, he's roughly the same size as Phillip Dorsett.

Archived