• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UDFA Damiere Byrd - WR - South Carolina

Jeremy Igo

As an avid gamecock fan, I'm rooting for him but I think his best bet would be practice squad this year. His hands have improved throughout his career (he had lasik last offseason to correct his vision) but are by no means perfect - as someone else mentioned, better on the deep ball than on contested catches. By all accounts he is a hard worker and a smart kid. And his speed is completetly legitimate - he really is as fast as he was timed.

But he did not demonstrate much route diversity at USC. He obviously isn't going to give you much as a blocker. He is not a punt returner despite his speed and he only returned 3 kicks at USC, so he doesn't have much experience there either.

Where he could help us out early is as a gunner on punt coverage. He was also great at USC in kick coverage, acting as a safety valve and preventing multiple TDs.

His beat chance to carve out a career would be to make the PS and learn how to be a more complete receiver in the NFL. If he can run the whole route tree then he could actually threaten defenses with his speed. And obviously I think he could be a contributor on special teams as well.

My point is, why not him instead of philly?

I know its early.. bit philly is small and quick.. but not likr Byrd

I don't think you can make that call after one day. Philly has shown he can make some plays so we need to at least get into pre season games to see what he has.

Archived