• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jonathan Stewart about to have a 1,500 yard season

Rotoworld:

"Stewart is one of the NFL's top pure runners ... Still relatively young (28), Stewart will be viewed as a 2015 offensive building block for the Panthers. ... he had 679 yards on 128 carries (5.30 YPC) over the Panthers' final seven games, including playoffs."

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/52922/57/silvas-pre-draft-top-150

If Stewart maintains that same pace over the next 16 games, he'll have a 1,552 yard season

Both Trai Turner and Andrew Norwell will be even better with a year of NFL adjustment and training under their belts

on top of that, we just added 3 new guys that played RT over the last couple years in Oher, Martin, and our draft pick William....and we still have Remmers

Thats gives us 4 RTs to compete to bookend each side of our OL and open up an even more powerful running attack then we had over the last 7 games. Heck, Stewart might run for 1,750!

But, toning the expectations down because we'll rotate other backs to keep Stewart fresh, and because Stewart might miss a game or two to injuries, it still seems likes its realistic that we can allow ourselves to get a little excited about the thought of an incoming 1,000-yard season for J Stew

Joe Person @ josephperson

Apr 22

Jonathan Stewart finally the #Panthers ' featured back.

Max Henson @ PanthersMax

Apr 20

For the first time, Jonathan Stewart enters the season as the

Panthers' feature back.

"Stewart is pretty darn good. Since 2008, there are 21 running backs with at least 1,000 carries, and Stewart has the 5th highest YPC (4.63) in that group. While he’s not a prolific pass catcher (130 catches in 90 games), his catch percentage is a solid 72.6%, which is better than both Arian Foster and Jamaal Charles. Stewart just turned 28, and is still in his prime."

http://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/2015/preseason/case-jonathan-stewart?aid=shrink

ESPN David Newton:

"This season will be the first since Stewart was drafted that he hasn’t been in the shadow of DeAngelo Williams. Carolina released its all-time leading rusher in February, leaving Stewart as the unquestioned No. 1 back heading into the 2015 season.

Stewart’s number was called late last season when Williams suffered a fractured hand. Stewart responded by rushing for 401 yards on 79 carries in the month of December, more than any player other than Dallas' DeMarco Murray, who had 418. Stewart added 123 yards in the home playoff win against Arizona.

He looked like the back that in 2009 rushed for 1,133 yards and 10 touchdowns. But even that season Williams was the starter for 13 games, rushing for 1,117 yards. Williams and Stewart were dubbed "Double Trouble" that year, but it always was clear Stewart was the second half of double.

Not anymore."

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/13240/panthers-jonathan-stewart-breaking-new-ground-as-top-back

Panthers.com:

"Last season, Stewart surged at the end of the year and helped carry the Panthers into the postseason. He finished with 809 yards in 13 games– his highest rushing output since 2009, his second NFL season.

Stewart and Williams were famously nicknamed "Double Trouble," with Williams regularly getting the starting nod when both were healthy. Now Stewart, who has 28 career starts, is entering a season in which he is the unquestioned feature back."

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Stewart-adjusting-to-change/eea6b274-78bf-435f-8660-4b66cd6680ce

CC0_yH0UUAAq__3.png

CCc0iB_UgAA9l8j.jpg

Still don't have faith in him making it a full season but we'll see.

I'm drafting Stewart in fantasy but I've got my trigger finger on Fozzy and Artis Payne for when he inevitably misses time.  If Stewart plays healthy for 16 games there's no doubt in my mind the Panthers are a playoff team behind Cam Newton and those huge receivers.

He can certainly get 1,500 yards with the right number of carries, but there is no way that happens. It took DeAngleo 273 carries to get 1,500 yards, and that was with a 5.5 YPC average. With a 4.6 average (same as last year and his career average), he'd need over 320 carries to get that. We had 473 carries last year, which would mean he would need to get close to 70% of carries, and there is no way that happens. Moreover, Rivera himself has said he wants Stewart to have around 15 carries a game. That's 240 carries over a season, which with a 4.6 YPC average would be 1,100 yards.

I don't doubt he'll have a good season, maybe as good as 1,300 yards. But there is no way he gets near 1,500.

I'm thinking he puts up at least 1,000 yards this season. poo, let's say he gets 18 carries/game, but plays in 12 games. Let's assume he averages 4.6 ypc, his career average. That would put him right around 1,000 yards. I think that's doable.

IF he stays healthy and plays like he did last year...I'm confident it help takes us to the NFC Championship game. Would be nice to get some production out of his last year here...or to justify his cap hit. 

That said...keep those legs fresh, Fozzy and Cam(s). 

He can certainly get 1,500 yards with the right number of carries, but there is no way that happens. It took DeAngleo 273 carries to get 1,500 yards, and that was with a 5.5 YPC average. With a 4.6 average (same as last year and his career average), he'd need over 320 carries to get that. We had 473 carries last year, which would mean he would need to get close to 70% of carries, and there is no way that happens. Moreover, Rivera himself has said he wants Stewart to have around 15 carries a game. That's 240 carries over a season, which with a 4.6 YPC average would be 1,100 yards.

I don't doubt he'll have a good season, maybe as good as 1,300 yards. But there is no way he gets near 1,500.

He does when you add 3-4 postseason games.   B)

Archived