• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corvey Irvin and Sherrod Martin Better Prove Their Worth, and Quick...

Proudiddy

Because as it stands right now, they were "throw away" picks. We got E. Brown, then it was almost like "who cares who we pick." Of course, that's not what happened, but it's pretty hard to figure out what we actually were thinking.

DT Sammie Lee Hill

DT Vaughn Martin

DT Terrance Knighton

All these guys were available at either Martin's pick or Irvin's pick. With all the talk after Kemo went down of how guys of his build/skill set are rare, there were three guys available between those picks all above 320 lbs.

Yet we select two guys whose merits were either based off one game (Martin) or one season (Irvin).

Irvin meanwhile, told us he enjoys "corrupting pockets." Great pick. I think I've seen him in 1 game, and he looked like a rag doll. Horrible.

Martin has seen time in several games. While I think there is some hope, he hasn't looked worth a 2nd round pick. Some of that may have to do with Fox's obsession with switching CBs/S/LBs out of position and screwing with their heads.

We definitely got our value in the later rounds with Fiammetta, Robinson and Munnerlyn. But, we ALL knew DT was the weakest position entering the draft regardless of the Peppers dilemma. Yet, we tried to make the glass half full with all of Irvin and Martin's "untapped potential" blah blah blah.

I certainly hope one of the DTs we picked up or will pick up will fill this giant HOLE in our defense, because Irvin isn't the answer. And Martin's pick hasn't been justified compared to what was there when we picked. /overdue rant

I agree and Sean Smith was still there when Martin was picked. Why do we keep getting guys in the 1st 3 rounds that we plan on converting positions? I mean first TD then Godfrey now Martin. I liked the TD pick even then but neither of the other two have impressed me at all (I think Godfrey is a big reason Lucas is no longer with the Panthers).

I agree and Sean Smith was still there when Martin was picked. Why do we keep getting guys who we plan on converting positions.

Fox likes versatility.

also, it's not really their fault about what happened with irvin. this wasn't really a draft to find starters, but it was a great draft to find backups you can work with.

just sorta sucks that the panthers biggest need came up in a year with a shallow talent pool.

One question do you remember how good Jenks was his 1st and 2nd season? When you can answer that question you will feel that we might need too give him some time before we jugde the pick.

The Martin thing is simple really have Fox and Hurney made a bad choice when it comes too the draft and secondary personal? Manning, Gamble, Marshall, even Sally was on the team for a while. So I trust them when it comes too the secondary.

One question do you remember how good Jenks was his 1st and 2nd season? When you can answer that question you will feel that we might need too give him some time before we jugde the pick.

jenkins also had untreated sleep apnea and didn't have any energy because of it.

his explosion coincided with him getting treatment.

The Martin thing is simple really have Fox and Hurney made a bad choice when it comes too the draft and secondary personal? Manning, Gamble, Marshall, even Sally was on the team for a while. So I trust them when it comes too the secondary.

They picked Martin over Smith. I have lost all faith in this FO when it comes to drafting.

They saw something in him that made them draft him with all those problem. My point is lets give Corvey a chance before we dog the pick.

im not saying they didn't. I'm saying there's a reason that jenkins struggled early, a reason that irvin, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't share

I could be wrong, but I always thought watching Jenkins that he looked like a player. Irvin doesn't look like a legitimate NFL DT to me. I could end up being wrong, but I doubt it.

He didn't start until the 6th game of the season the 1st year and nobody saw anything out of that team they went 1-15.

Now the 2nd year I was wrong he was a beast the 2nd year so lets at least give Corvey a year.

They picked Martin over Smith. I have lost all faith in this FO when it comes to drafting.

Seeing things like that makes me lose faith in the Panthers fan base sometimes. If you genuinely think we are a poor drafting team, then you need your head examined. There is a reason we have very few high priced free agents joining our team, we generally do not need them. Our entire core is built from drafted players from all eareas of the draft. We also managed to get some bargains this last draft.

Smith just simply does not fit what we wanted. He can't tackle. At all. Get over it.

Because as it stands right now, they were "throw away" picks. We got E. Brown, then it was almost like "who cares who we pick." Of course, that's not what happened, but it's pretty hard to figure out what we actually were thinking.

DT Sammie Lee Hill

DT Vaughn Martin

DT Terrance Knighton

All these guys were available at either Martin's pick or Irvin's pick. With all the talk after Kemo went down of how guys of his build/skill set are rare, there were three guys available between those picks all above 320 lbs.

Yet we select two guys whose merits were either based off one game (Martin) or one season (Irvin).

Irvin meanwhile, told us he enjoys "corrupting pockets." Great pick. I think I've seen him in 1 game, and he looked like a rag doll. Horrible.

Martin has seen time in several games. While I think there is some hope, he hasn't looked worth a 2nd round pick. Some of that may have to do with Fox's obsession with switching CBs/S/LBs out of position and screwing with their heads.

We definitely got our value in the later rounds with Fiammetta, Robinson and Munnerlyn. But, we ALL knew DT was the weakest position entering the draft regardless of the Peppers dilemma. Yet, we tried to make the glass half full with all of Irvin and Martin's "untapped potential" blah blah blah.

I certainly hope one of the DTs we picked up or will pick up will fill this giant HOLE in our defense, because Irvin isn't the answer. And Martin's pick hasn't been justified compared to what was there when we picked. /overdue rant

good post

Archived