• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign 10 UDFA

Jeremy Igo

I wonder if any of the defensive linemen have a chance to make the team?

I was really upset we didn't go after guys like Rob Crisp, Harris, Lott, Coleman and McBride but maybe they wanted to sign elsewhere. There is still a chance that we could acquire some more guys from other teams if they get cut during the preseason.

That usually does happen.

Per the article, the roster tally now stands at 86, so four spots are open.

Can probably expect one quarterback and one kicker for camp purposes at least, then two others.

Conceivably one of those two could be a spot for La'El Collins, but I prefer to remain measured on that front.

Per the article, the roster tally now stands at 86, so four spots are open.

Can probably expect one quarterback and one kicker for camp purposes at least, then two others.

Conceivably one of those two could be a spot for La'El Collins, but I prefer to remain measured on that front.

Agree with all of that. However, isn't their an UDFA max pay pool? I thought I read somewhere that the UDFA Bonus money maxes out for each team at $88K. Does all of that only kick in if they make the team? Could signing 10 UDFAs limit our ability to land Collins as another team could offer him pennies more? Or can we clear out some of these guys and move him in? I don't know. The whole thing gets kinda weird. I know a ton of teams will want him but I'm curious as to the minor differences in ability to offer him a spot.

I understand the potential starting spot. Probably the biggest factor. His desire to play in a certain city or with former friends at LSU. But what are the actual small differences in what a team can offer? Just spitballing, but if the max for every team (Bonus only) is $88K, does that mean one team could not give bonuses to anyone but him and offer the full $88K? I know that's peanuts compared to what he'd be playing for in the future but I'm curious about the process now.

Agree with all of that. However, isn't their an UDFA max pay pool? I thought I read somewhere that the UDFA Bonus money maxes out for each team at $88K. Does all of that only kick in if they make the team? Could signing 10 UDFAs limit our ability to land Collins as another team could offer him pennies more? Or can we clear out some of these guys and move him in? I don't know. The whole thing gets kinda weird. I know a ton of teams will want him but I'm curious as to the minor differences in ability to offer him a spot.

I understand the potential starting spot. Probably the biggest factor. His desire to play in a certain city or with former friends at LSU. But what are the actual small differences in what a team can offer? Just spitballing, but if the max for every team (Bonus only) is $88K, does that mean one team could not give bonuses to anyone but him and offer the full $88K? I know that's peanuts compared to what he'd be playing for in the future but I'm curious about the process now.

Draft pick pool.  No UDFA pool that I know of. 

They have set individual salary limits, but no max that I know of.

The Chargers, for example, have 21 of them.

RB Brandon "the machine" Wegher

http://nflmocks.com/2015/02/01/nfl-draft-sleeper-rb-brandon-wegher-ready-next-level/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB5nG_HpYCk

Kid shows run vision, good balance, is patient, knows how to use his blockers, can find the lanes and protects the ball.

Traits like those are what make Le'Veon Bell so good.  In the NFL, sometimes a smart runner can outperform a more athletic runner (in the right scheme).

And MG is right.  The kid is crazy fearless. 

I like him.

Draft pick pool.  No UDFA pool that I know of. 

They have set individual salary limits, but no max that I know of.

The Chargers, for example, have 21 of them.

http://overthecap.com/what-can-lael-collins-earn-as-an-undrafted-free-agent/

Good article about it. Doesn't answer all the questions I have about the process but does clear up some about specifically Collins.

Archived