• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bene the corner

Jeremy Igo

For a while I have been making the case in this joint for Bene to be a full time corner opposite Josh Norman. After all, he was one of the highest rated corners in the entire league last season.

Many told me no, Bene was a nickel, the Panthers would be drafting a corner. Well, that didn't happen.

In fact, the Panthers drafted a nickel of sorts, Shaq Thompson, to fill in for those Buffalo packages.

If Bene were to play only nickel, he would play around 30% of the total snaps. He is way to talented a kid for that.

The good news is Bene is coming into the studio on Tuesday for a long form interview on the huddle podcast. We will be getting his take directly.

Would like to see him and Tillman alternate starting, depending on the opponent's #2 WR. If it's a taller, bigger, slower guy that could outmuscle Bene, then put Tillman on him. If the guy's a smaller, faster guy that could outrun Tillman, have Bene cover him.

For a while I have been making the case in this joint for Bene to be a full time corner opposite Josh Norman. After all, he was one of the highest rated corners in the entire league last season.

Many told me no, Bene was a nickel, the Panthers would be drafting a corner. Well, that didn't happen.

In fact, the Panthers drafted a nickel of sorts, Shaq Thompson, to fill in for those Buffalo packages.

If Bene were to play only nickel, he would play around 30% of the total snaps. He is way to talented a kid for that.

The good news is Bene is coming into the studio on Tuesday for a long form interview on the huddle podcast. We will be getting his take directly.

I think a lot of people who said that meant that he would be outside in base and slide in for nickel rather than exclusively the third CB. And considering that AJ, Chase, and Glanton only played in 40% of 2014 defensive snaps the Panthers were in nickel 55-60% of the time.

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/12131/panthers-snap-count-analysis-linebacker

Rob Ryan already tried the eleven safety approach :unsure:

I don't know what that is but I envision this with 4 down lineman. 3 linebackers capable of blitzing or covering. Then Tillman, Bene, J Norman, and a single safety. We play so much zone Tillman and Norman can drop into a cover three.

I think last year you could make the point our vulnerability on third and long was the tight end. Getting more linebackers on the field gets more tackling for the Jimmy Grahams and Luke Willsons.

Archived