• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Home Theater Projector

walt227

I just bought a new house a couple months ago and it has an upstairs theater room that's approximately 13x21. I have a flat-screen in there now, but would like to install a projector. I am clueless as to what to get and have no desire to spend an outrageous amount of money on making this happen. So...what do I need?

Spend some time at AVS Forums, you can find out all you need to know there.

You can make as big of a 16x9 screen on that wall as you can fit, from that Throw. Only question is what $$$ you want to spend. I bought a Sharp DT510 last year for $500 new off Internet for example, its 720p and looks great. You can probably get a good 1080p now for low $1k's, maybe less with economy.

Then build your screen, buy one off Ebay. You can get a good 100" or bigger screen for around $200.

You will need a Projector hanger from Ceiling, and HDMI Cables, buy these off monoprice.com (never buy this at Best buy, you might can find a Projector on clearance that is good deal, but never accessories.)

Then the Sound is up to you, but you will need a good Receiver. Again you can find all about this at AVS too. Main thing is get something that can carry the HD Audio Codecs for Blu-Ray, Onkyo has one for as little as $300 bucks I beleive.

Anyway, you can save alot of you do it yourself and buy everything Online. but do your homework.

btw, from 21' feet back, you could potentially get a Screen well over 100", closer to 150". But looking at your picture I think you'll have to settle for what fits with that room since way Ceiling is made.

From 17ft with my Infocus I had 130", the Sharp I own is a short throw. From 11ft I'm easily getting 100", could've done 109" but it was little too big for seating distance.

Need to check out Projector Central.com I think, they have calculators for each projector on market and what is ideal throw range for size screen you want. That is important, the lenses aren't all the same.

d-dave has a great point about the calibration, it will make almost every HDTV look better. Calibration not only gets your picture as it should be, but it really extends the life of your TV. You change the oil in your car, you have your AC & furnace serviced, why not protect the investment that is your HDTV? A calibration may be pricey, but it damn sure saves you in the long run and you get the best possible picture you can get when you do watch. Im not trying to sound like a commercial, but being an ISF certified calibrator, I feel a need to defend me and mine.

Try this if you want more from your picture, but dont want to pay the $200-350 for a true calibration. This has helped everyone Ive lent it to, just because I havent had the $4ooo to spend to get the equipment I need...

d-dave has a great point about the calibration, it will make almost every HDTV look better. Calibration not only gets your picture as it should be, but it really extends the life of your TV. You change the oil in your car, you have your AC & furnace serviced, why not protect the investment that is your HDTV? A calibration may be pricey, but it damn sure saves you in the long run and you get the best possible picture you can get when you do watch. Im not trying to sound like a commercial, but being an ISF certified calibrator, I feel a need to defend me and mine.

Try this if you want more from your picture, but dont want to pay the $200-350 for a true calibration. This has helped everyone Ive lent it to, just because I havent had the $4ooo to spend to get the equipment I need...

Does that chick in the video get naked? If so, I'm on it...

I saw Trannies 2 (/groan, I know, but it was fun damnit!) in IMAX at Concord Mills, and that was pretty dern sharp. =) But I will say that I am partial to the movie experience. though I guess my opinion should be moot'ed because I have an old ass sharp LCD projector with a nasty, bunked up lense that I watch movies on (4:3 FTW!!1!) sometimes to get them upto 82" square inches (baby!). So yeah, I like the big ass images and some rockin' audio =)

So I guess when putting your room together, get the set up you most want. Went to hhgregg tonight and drolled over the 73" mitsu DLPs....oh seksi...my wife had to pull me away =) You can't really go wrong with one of those two for the screen footage. =)

Oh well, I ramble on =) been up since 4, and had 40 8th graders for 2 hours...ugh!

I saw Trannies 2 (/groan, I know, but it was fun damnit!) in IMAX at Concord Mills, and that was pretty dern sharp. =)

Yeah, we did too...and honestly I felt sorta jobbed with regard to what it cost. The huge screen was awesome but like the first movie, the action was a million miles per hour with cuts twice as fast so trying to appreciate any sort of PQ was impossible. Would like to check out one of them specially made for IMAX movies sometime to see a good example of PQ. So far my IMAX experiences (limited though they are....Transformers 2 and a movie about Niagara) have been less than impressive.

Bluray for that oughta be coming out soon....and I bet it looks better at home :)

If you have a room where you can control the light, a Projector is a good option. More for your money and the Picture, with the lights off, is very sharp and bright as long as you get a good projector.

The Projectors you see in stores, do not look as good because they don't have them setup correctly, making the picture look duller.

But if this is for everyday viewing, such as during the day with sun shining in or you just don't like dark rooms while watching anything get a rear projector, you'll just lose the size and flexibility doing this vs. Ceiling Mounted Front Projector

Archived