• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DGB was never in play for the Panthers

Jeremy Igo

Too bad about Preston Smith - I really liked him. He would have fit us really well. Plus it would have been fun to see everyone melt down if our first two picks were defense.

But I can definitely believe that the Panthers had D. Smith, P. Smith, L. Collins, and Funchess in a class with late round 1 grades.

You've been spot on with the info this draft season. Thanks.

I'm so glad Smith was gone, I would be so so disappointed if we went defense the first two rounds, would have made me sick. Jesus Christ I'm so glad Gettleman finally came alive and made a splash play for a stud WR, couldn't be happier

I think this is mini spin control. Titans beat them to the punch and they settled but only slightly on Funchess.

DGB i think is much better.

Seriously doubt it.

Gettleman has made pretty clear that they wouldn't look at guys with a domestic violence incident on their record.

It's also known that they had a first round grade on Funchess, so that isn't 'settling'.  Heck, if you saw the War Room camera after the pick, it looked like they were having a party.

DGB getting picked at 40, however, may have triggered the Panthers to move up.  There were 2 big WRs on the board at 39, then suddenly, DGB goes and the Panthers knew anyone wanting a big WR would be targeting Funchess. 

It was a good move.

Actually, if you go by the trade chart, the Panthers came out a few points (2.4) ahead.

"I'd rather have a quarter than 2 dimes."

-----D. Gettlemen

DGB getting picked at 40, however, may have triggered the Panthers to move up.  There were 2 big WRs on the board at 39, then suddenly, DGB goes and the Panthers knew anyone wanting a big WR would be targeting Funchess. 

It was a good move.

Actually, if you go by the trade chart, the Panthers came out a few points (2.4) ahead.

-----D. Gettlemen

I don't think the DGB pick triggered anything since, as I recall, the trade was made before he was picked.

The three or four picks that were made before him, on the other hand....

I think this is mini spin control. Titans beat them to the punch and they settled but only slightly on Funchess.

DGB i think is much better.

No, it isn't.

Never any interest in DGB. Funchess was a 1st round Panthers grade. 

This isn't an opinion or speculation but first hand knowledge. 

I don't think the DGB pick triggered anything since, as I recall, the trade was made before he was picked.

The three or four picks that were made before him, on the other hand....

Do the other teams discover the pick when we do or do the war rooms learn about it sooner?  I would think that, if a team wants to know, the drafting team would openly share that pick with an inquiring team.   I am not challenging your point--it just brings to mind something I have wondered about but never asked.

The TV coverage was slower than the draft.  I like it better, however, because in the past, the networks would go to commercial when small-market teams are on the clock.

It was a good move.

-----D. Gettlemen

More like taking 3 dimes and turning them into a buck.

No, it isn't.

Never any interest in DGB. Funchess was a 1st round Panthers grade. 

This isn't an opinion or speculation but first hand knowledge. 

Agree, albeit unnecessarily.  Why would anyone assume that we were EVER considering a player with questionable character and intelligence?  He might be the studliest horse in the corral, but if he is stupid and wild, you will wind up on your ass in the middle of nowhere.  That has been proven time and time again in the NFL, and the Panthers have been purging themselves of head cases of late. Smitty? gone.  Hardy? gone. Alexander? Anywhere from gone to doghouse.   DGB? Welcome to the Family?  Never.

Do the other teams discover the pick when we do or do the war rooms learn about it sooner?  I would think that, if a team wants to know, the drafting team would openly share that pick with an inquiring team.   I am not challenging your point--it just brings to mind something I have wondered about but never asked.

The TV coverage was slower than the draft.  I like it better, however, because in the past, the networks would go to commercial when small-market teams are on the clock.

Know.  Doubt it.

Suspect?  Probably.

They all scout each other's needs and tendencies.

Know.  Doubt it.

Suspect?  Probably.

They all scout each other's needs and tendencies.

So then what prolly happened was-the Panthers had 5 players on a list at the beginning of the second.  Here are the picks, and I will bold the players I am guessing were on the Panther's list:

1. Landon Collins, SS (heard they were not interested in him early)
  2. Donovan Smith, OT
  3. Mario Edwards Jr, DT (work ethic issues, problems with weight control. way too early for him)
  4. TJ Yeldon, RB (could have been the fourth name on the Panther's list, not Goldman)
  5. Devin Smith, WR
  6. Preston Smith, DE
  7. Eddie Goldman, DT
  8. Dorial Green-Beckham, WR  (no way in hell he is on the list)

Archived