• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistic Expectations For Devin Funchess This Season

The counter arguement is the team he played on. If he was playing with Jameis Winston his numbers may have looked very different. 

I hope he turns out to be a better pro than college player. Looking at his splits its pretty abysmal. 

• Only two 100 yard games last year
  • Only two games with touchdowns. 3 against App State and 1 against Penn State.
  • He had 4 games under 50 yards. 7 games under 75 yards. 

2013 stats?

• Only two 100 yard games that year.
  • Five games with a TD. Lighting up Penn State in an overtime game.
  • 6 games under 50 yards! 10 games under 75 yards.
  • 2 catches for 21 yards in a bowl game.

Now, does this mean he will be a bad pro? Not at all. But, it has me a bit concerned, especially giving up our third for a game with no major production in college playing against smaller, slower players than he will play against at this level, especially when as a WR he lit up App State for 3 TDs and basically stunk the bed the rest of the year. 

What I am hoping for is that the reason for the piss poor statistics was his QB play at Michigan where Devin Gardner and Shane Morris threw more interceptions than touchdowns. Gardner also averaged less than 7 ypa. Cam will be a much better QB than that.

I am hoping for 5 TDs, about 40 catches, and 650 yards based on our offence, KB being better than last year and Olsen still being a stud.

63 receptions for 726 yards and 5 TDs

What I really am interested in seeing, assuming he wins the #2 receiver spot, is how defenses will need to play the Panthers offense.

Most Ds put a LB with safety over top Olsen, and would put the #1 CB, LB under, and safety over top KB.

Defenses were trying to single cover KB until he tore them up. Then they had 2 or 3 defenders bracketing him for the second half of the season.

They cannot put a safety over top all 3 of them. This guarantees a mismatch in the run game or pass game. At the very least this keeps a defense from pushing its coverage to KB.

It will be fun to see how this opens up the field. I am sure defenses will all try to single cover Funchess at the start of the season. He will have to prove he is a threat like KB did in 2014, and then the fun begins.

Archived