• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistic Expectations For Devin Funchess This Season

Well Getts thought what would be available 16 picks later was worth our 3rd and 6th round picks.

That's a lot of value.

So I expect this guy to produce, and do it early.

This isn't Marty Hurney Everett Brown stuff.

I hope.

I may be being a little hard on him since I was strongly against taking him at 57 before the draft so you can understand how I feel trading our 3rd for him, but I'm optimistic. If he can put that up I'd be ecstatic. May be a little unreasonable for a 2nd round rookie WR (last year's insanely good WR class has expectations for rookie wideouts higher) but if he goes under 600ish and 5 TDs, I'd be extremely disappointed. 

Gettleman used words like "upside" and "potential" with him. Mike Mayock used phrases like "better pro than college player". Based on what I'm reading he has superior movement skills to Kelvin. That's fluid running, change of direction, and leaping. He's slightly less gifted in terms of size. 

I don't think we can expect an insane rookie season for him simply because we gave up so much to get him. Gettleman wanted him more than a 3rd and 6th round pick based on the way the draft was going. That is really all it comes down to.

I may be being a little hard on him since I was strongly against taking him at 57 before the draft so you can understand how I feel trading our 3rd for him, but I'm optimistic. If he can put that up I'd be ecstatic. May be a little unreasonable for a 2nd round rookie WR (last year's insanely good WR class has expectations for rookie wideouts higher) but if he goes under 600ish and 5 TDs, I'd be extremely disappointed. 

I don't know man.  Maybe you should lower your expectations a bit.  I just think there's other factors to consider.  First, we're a run first, pound the rock, ToP offense.  Second, if he does turn out being our #2, he will still have to share touches with two 1,000 yard guys.  You know KB and Olsen will get the lion's share, due to Olsen being Olsen, and KB being our clear #1.  Then you start sprinkling in Dickson in 2 TE sets, or our 3rd WR.  If we have that amout of viable targets, I can see the ball being spread around quite a bit, not unlike our 2013 season, when we had like 4 guys hovering around 600-700 yards each(though I'd hope it would be a bit more this season).  That's not even considering RB's getting passes either.  I think D-Will had nearly 400 yards receiving that year.

Haha, looking back at the realistic expectations for Benji thread I said "At least two game winning touchdown catches." I don't think he had that, but he certainly exceeded most all of our expectations. 

As far as Funchess, I say 50 catches, 800 yards, 6 TDs. More than his own production though, I think having him opens up the rest of the passing game and gets Cam back to Chud era yardage, ie over 4,000.

Archived