• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq Thompson is not an undersized linebacker

Jeremy Igo

I see a lot of misinformation out there right now regarding his size. But Shaq Thompson is not an undersized weak side linebacker. I see many comparisons to Thomas Davis, but that isn't entirely accurate. 

A better comparison that can be made physically is with the best WLB of the past two decades... Derrick Brooks. 

Derrick Brooks - 6'0 - 235lbs

Shaq Thompson - 6'0 - 228lbs

Only seven pounds separate the two players physically. It would have been unwise for Thompson to bulk up before the draft, not knowing where his new team would place him. Now that Shaq is a Panther, look for the training staff to have him add the needed bulk. Shaq could easily be at 235lbs by September. 

So when you see lazy reporting from the national media remarking about his size, brush it aside. It isn't accurate. 

considering that they are going to be using him in a variety of ways and probably more as a safety/LB hybrid i have a hard time classifying him as just an LB. he's a weapon on defense that gives us more versatility in what we can do. our top end defense just got better.

But the Media is always right! Thats why Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Mike Mayock and Pete Prisco are all succesful NFL GMs with impecable draft records! you know like these quotes from Kiper

“His attitude will be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over [other players in his draft class].” (Ryan Leaf)

“If [Clausen is] not a successful starting quarterback in the NFL, I’m done. That’s it. I’m out.” (Jimmy Clausen)

“Give the Lions credit for going away from their biggest needs to take receiver Mike Williams. … I’ll see you at his Hall of Fame induction.” (Mike Williams)

“Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that’s certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league… look out because the skill level he has is certainly John Elway-like.” (JaMarcus Russell)

People in here saying Gettleman didn't go BPA because guys like Perriman were still available, why are you trusting mouthpieces on TV who say things like the above, when you can trust Gettleman who always gets bad grades, yet has produced 9 starters in his first 2 drafts.. Shaq will allow us to start the meanest front 7 in the entire league, and thats before you get a #1 kinda cover corner in Bene, NFLs biggest ball at #2 and possibly other draft picks.. Defence wins championships, McDermott just got his Knight piece to move around and create unorthodox moves with

But the Media is always right! Thats why Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Mike Mayock and Pete Prisco are all succesful NFL GMs with impecable draft records! you know like these quotes from Kiper

“His attitude will be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over [other players in his draft class].” (Ryan Leaf)

“If [Clausen is] not a successful starting quarterback in the NFL, I’m done. That’s it. I’m out.” (Jimmy Clausen)

“Give the Lions credit for going away from their biggest needs to take receiver Mike Williams. … I’ll see you at his Hall of Fame induction.” (Mike Williams)

“Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that’s certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league… look out because the skill level he has is certainly John Elway-like.” (JaMarcus Russell)

People in here saying Gettleman didn't go BPA because guys like Perriman were still available, why are you trusting mouthpieces on TV who say things like the above, when you can trust Gettleman who always gets bad grades, yet has produced 9 starters in his first 2 drafts

Draftek only got 2 picks correct on first rd mocks.

I'm go an stop looking at mocks

I think Shaq Thompson is a good player, but where does he play.  If he is a weakside linebacker, then TD is an undersides strongside linebacker.  If he is a safety then he might not play for at least half of the first year(probably the whole year) because he has not consistenly played there before and does not know the position.  If he is a nickel linebacker, then what happens to TD, our best coverage linebacker, when we go to nickel?  And finally, does this mean Thomas Davis, as the coaching staff has called him the leader of the defense, comes off the field for most or at least a some of the passing downs and you lose some of his leadership on the field. 

I think Shaq Thompson is a good player and will turn out to be a good pro player.  But we have created a logjam at a position were 2 guys do the same thing very well but, on over half the downs only 1 can be on the field.  I think he will be a good pick but for the next 2 maybe 3 years I don't think he will be on the field enough to justify the pick and everyone on this board will bash Gettleman and Ron for picking him.  In 5 years he maybe the best weakside linebacker in football but do people have the patience for that.

considering that they are going to be using him in a variety of ways and probably more as a safety/LB hybrid i have a hard time classifying him as just an LB. he's a weapon on defense that gives us more versatility in what we can do. our top end defense just got better.

He's a bandit for now. It is like on a 4-2-5 defense. He is the third safety that can move up to line as defacto 3rd linebacker

I was not very happy about the selection last night or this morning, but it's growing on me.

As faras value, he was probably the best in the 1st round tbh.

What other team can claim that they drafted 1 player that can play all LB pos, Safety, RB, and possibly DE?

Nobody!

:-)

I think Shaq Thompson is a good player, but where does he play. If he is a weakside linebacker, then TD is an undersides strongside linebacker. If he is a safety then he might play for at least half of the first year(probably the whole year) because he has not consistenly played there before and does not know the position. If he is a nickel linebacker, then what happens to TD, our best coverage linebacker, when we go to nickel? And finally, does this mean Thomas Davis, as the coaching staff has called him the leader of the defense, comes off the field for most or at least a some of the passing downs and you lose some of his leadership on the field.

I think Shaq Thompson is a good player and will turn out to be a good pro player. But we have created a logjam at a position were 2 guys do the same thing very well but, on over half the downs only 1 can be on the field. I think he will be a good pick but for the next 2 maybe 3 years I don't think he will be on the field enough to justify the pick and everyone on this board will bash Gettleman and Ron for picking him. In 5 years he maybe the best weakside linebacker in football but do people have the patience for that.

the plan for 2015 is to roll with Shaq, Luke, TD backed up by 4 DBs. Like Gettleman says, Shaq can do it all, so expect to see him on the field as our "3rd LB" used as a DE/ILB/OLB/nickelback/SS/FS hybrid like Kenny Vaccaro played for the Saints as a rookie. This is how Washington used Shaq as a freshman in 2012

Panthers.com:

"He's going to allow us to put three very fast linebackers on the field. I think he's going to be a great fit with Thomas and Luke," general manager Dave Gettleman said. "He gives us matchup abilities that we don't have, and there are some different things that we can do with him. We think he's going to be a terrific fit."

Rivera said that Thompson's versatility would allow the Panthers, who often switched to a nickel package on defense last season, to more often feature three linebackers and better match up against offenses featuring "Jimmy Graham style of football players" at tight end.

"He's really a complete package. There isn't anything he isn't capable of doing on the field that fits us," Gettleman said. "And he's a heck of a fit for us. There's nothing he can't do, and he showed that he's a tough kid. He will tag your fanny.

"He's like any young kid. He's got to learn to play the pro game, but he's capable of doing it all."

http://m.panthers.com/s/30848/260?itemPos=1&itemUri=-2115520147%2F1581414151310131015711471511995

the plan for 2015 is to roll with Shaq, Luke, TD backed up by 4 DBs. Like Gettleman says, Shaq can do it all, so expect to see him on the field as our "3rd LB" used as a DE/ILB/OLB/nickelback/SS/FS hybrid like Kenny Vaccaro played for the Saints as a rookie. This is how Washington used Shaq as a freshman in 2012

Panthers.com:

"He's going to allow us to put three very fast linebackers on the field. I think he's going to be a great fit with Thomas and Luke," general manager Dave Gettleman said. "He gives us matchup abilities that we don't have, and there are some different things that we can do with him. We think he's going to be a terrific fit."

Rivera said that Thompson's versatility would allow the Panthers, who often switched to a nickel package on defense last season, to more often feature three linebackers and better match up against offenses featuring "Jimmy Graham style of football players" at tight end.

"He's really a complete package. There isn't anything he isn't capable of doing on the field that fits us," Gettleman said. "And he's a heck of a fit for us. There's nothing he can't do, and he showed that he's a tough kid. He will tag your fanny.

"He's like any young kid. He's got to learn to play the pro game, but he's capable of doing it all."

http://m.panthers.com/s/30848/260?itemPos=1&itemUri=-2115520147%2F1581414151310131015711471511995

If we are going to use him against 11 personal on opposing offenses, expect our pass defense to be much worse.  He is not as good in coverage as Colin Jones.  But if you leave him at one position and let him learn he could be as good as Thomas Davis.  Washington never did that and that kind of slowed his development.  If we do the same, I don't think that is the best idea. 

But I am not a coach or GM so I don't know.  I hope for the best but I just don't know.

Archived