• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Gruden lists the 15 of the Top 62 prospects that he is most concerned about:

gettlemanjack

"Because we are talking about a first-round draft choice. I'm looking for a man who can do it all."

Of course, Landon Collins is on the list:

"As much as I like Collins, he looks to me like a linebacker more than he does a safety, and that is a concern now that the safety position has become so critical in terms of coverage and disguises. Collins is really good in close-quarter tackles near the line of scrimmage, but when you get him as a deep defender where he has to make one-on-one tackles in the open field and play the ball deep, I have concerns. Here is another concern: Nick Saban has a lot of great players, but there is a good chance they are going to play better for Saban than they are for you because he is that good of a coach."

but so are:

QB

Jameis Winston - "when you talk about being the No. 1 pick, I'm a little leery... Winston has a great personality, intangibles, enthusiasm and effort... I enjoyed every second around him. I would want him on my football team...[but] he has made questionable decisions on the field and the off-field history has to be concerning. ... No matter how we slice it, there were bad decisions on and off the field. Some of his 28 interceptions were troublesome. I thought there were 12-13 other passes over the past two years that should have been picked off. There were also 36 false starts in two years, so the communication of the offense is another question mark. ... Winston might be best off sitting for a year and learning."

WR

Breshad Perriman - "like Sammie Coates, they need to work on catching the football and their route running because it's far too inconsistent. That is why I don't have them in the first round."

Dorial Green-Beckham - "not quite satisfied with what I see on tape and what I'm hearing off the field."

RB

Jay Ajayi - "can we coach him up in other areas of the game?"

OL

DJ Humphries - "I like Jake Fisher of Oregon better."

DL

Arik Armstead - "doesn't have a lot of production"

Jordan Phillips - "I wanted to see more"

Eddie Goldman - "effort was marginal at times"

Owamagbe Odighizuwa - "I do not know where he fits"

EDGE

Vic Beasley - "does not show up against the run"

Randy Gregory - "when I watch him stop the run, there are too many plays I do not like"

CB

Trae Waynes - "needs to show he can be a better tackler"

Kevin Johnson - "needs to show he can be a better tackler"

Jalen Collins - "has not started many games -- just 10 in all."

http://www.espn.co.uk/american-football/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/12773197/jameis-winston-randy-gregory-buyer-beware-prospects-2015-nfl-draft

I applaud what he said about Humphries.  Talk about a dude that shot up the draft boards for no real reason other than a lack of talent at OT. (See Blaine Gabbert.  When Andrew Luck decided to go back to school, Gabbert's name shot to the top from out of left field.  Draft analysts get desperate and begin reaching for someone to talk about when other top guys go back to college.)

Vic Beasley is an athletic freak. super-quick and very strong/long. May never add much bulk to his long frame but maybe doesnt have to. Questions are if he can get in the backfield via bullrush or by inside uppercut-shed.

Hes gonna cause some havoc, just needs a player behind him able to shed second-level blocks and make stops at the line of scrimmage.

Would rather have Chaz Green than Humphries. Chaz should be available in the 5th and maybe beyond. He was team captain over Humphries for a reason and played every position along the OL. Way more versatile, just has some injury concerns.

chaz looked just as good on tape 

You mean Humphries and Perriman are products of the hype machine? Shocking. Like I said several weeks ago, Perriman has a low football IQ. That's worrisome considering his dad was in the NFL. This guy is fast but his routes are well below average and his hands are iffy. Then there's Humphries. An injury-prone LT who has issues against speed rushers. That sounds vaguely familiar.

He actually said that he would like Perriman.

You mean Humphries and Perriman are products of the hype machine? Shocking. Like I said several weeks ago, Perriman has a low football IQ. That's worrisome considering his dad was in the NFL. This guy is fast but his routes are well below average and his hands are iffy. Then there's Humphries. An injury-prone LT who has issues against speed rushers. That sounds vaguely familiar.

And he didn't say anything about the guy having a low football IQ. You are the only person on the Internet spewing such foolishness (even after being shown the error of your ways). That should tell you something.

I saw his 2015 draft show on ESPN this morning (don't remember what it's called) around 3:30. He and Kiper were having a lot of fun going at it about evaluations and mocks. It was a treat to watch. Catch it if interested.

That was some of the best TV That ESPN has done in awhile. Gruden was schooling Kiper.

Archived