• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman: 4-5 Left Tackles in draft, good chance we get one, WR class has more depth in later rounds

gettlemanjack

Some of those "4-5 left tackles" could be later round guys that they project as potential LTs in a year or two. There might not be 4-5 first round left tackles ready to contribute early this season.

Moreover, Gettleman basically said that when the pick comes in reference to those guys, they are going to be going against people at other positions that may be graded higher. He in no way suggested that OT would be the first pick. People are running with this because of a pointed question that he was asked.

Charlotte Observer:

Jonathan Jones @ jjones9

Apr 23

Mayock says Flowers, Peat, Humphries and Clemmings will be

there at 25 for Panthers

Jonathan Jones @ jjones9

Apr 23

I've said it before I don't think Panthers go after Clemmings.

The other three are definitely in play if available (don't think Peat

will be)

There will be OT available when we come up at 25 and Gettleman will pass on them to take another position.

Moreover, Gettleman basically said that when the pick comes in reference to those guys, they are going to be going against people at other positions that may be graded higher. He in no way suggested that OT would be the first pick. People are running with this because of a pointed question that he was asked.

Pretty much...

Interesting that Gettleman said a LT might be there at 25. Then his next words: "But who else is available? What else is there?"

Peat probably the only one who can start right away at LT. I feel that Ogbuehi would probably close to this level with out the injury. 

Then you have Humphries, Fisher and Flowers that will either take time or start at RT. 

I still think Flowers makes a better RT and Collins fits better at guard. Clemmings is a RT that will take some time to develop. 

He said OT could be the pick. Could =/= would. You realize that right?

He said OT could be the pick. Could =/= would. You realize that right?

Well, people need to stop suggesting that he said otherwise. 

I mean, I would assume that we already knew that OT could be the first pick...furthermore, it may be a stretch, but even the fact that there are maybe 4 or 5 guys that "could" play LT is not really news.

The Associated Press' Steve Reed believes the Panthers will select a left tackle at No. 25 overall.

Specifically, Reed believes the Panthers "(won't" outthink themselves." Carolina has the league's worst blindside situation with free-agent signee Michael Oher currently penciled in. This year's tackle class is low on "sure things," with players like Oregon's Jake Fisher potentially needing to kick inside.

Well, people need to stop suggesting that he said otherwise.

I mean, I would assume that we already knew that OT could be the first pick...furthermore, it may be a stretch, but even the fact that there are maybe 4 or 5 guys that "could" play LT is not really news.

That is huge news as pretty much everyone on here swore there weren't anywhere close to 4-5 LTs in this draft. Will provide you with threads in a bit. Will be interesting to see if you were one of them, because you sure are getting buttmad

That is huge news as pretty much everyone on here swore there weren't anywhere close to 4-5 LTs in this draft. Will provide you with threads in a bit. Will be interesting to see if you were one of them, because you sure are getting buttmad

Then, we have a breakdown in communication solely based upon the limits of the Internet, because I am in no way mad. I am just pointing out the obvious. :)

As for me talking OTs, I don't know enough specifically about them (focusing on WRs this year), but to say that I believe that Humphries has the best upside considering his quick feet and athleticism out of all of them in my opinion. I am not really concerned with his size because he can easily add 20 pounds with strength and conditioning.  Hence why I said:

Sure the odds are against it, but I'd love it just to see how the Huddle melts down.  To be honest, I am not going to discount him, but it's all going to depend upon how the cards fall.  I was thinking that Shane Ray had a good chance, but now...I am going with D.J. Humphries, with still a trade up in the second to nab a receiver.  

Personally, I like Jake Fisher also, as i believe that he would be a good value.  As for some of the others, I just think that they'll be gone due to being perceived as better or possibly even the "mistakes" that Gettleman alluded to in his presser.

Just an FYI, I was one of the ones that kept mentioning how I liked JaWuan James last year, and Gman would have likely picked him had he been there. 

Most of what I have seen is Huddlers talking in terms of OTs with a first round grade. I could be wrong, but I don't think most people meant that some of these higher profile names couldn't play LT at all at some point.

Sporting News:

Andrus Peat and Panthers' LT solutions in 2015 NFL Draft

April 26, 2015

"The Panthers have failed to land a serviceable replacement following Jordan Gross' retirement last offseason, and will likely take notice if a top left tackle prospect like Stanford’s Andrus Peat drops to them at pick No. 25.

Brandon Scherff and La'el Collins are widely expected to leave the board before Carolina's first pick. There are also concerns as to whether Collins' game translates well to the outside-zone run concepts the Panthers favor. Peat's game does translate to the Carolina offense

There's also the real possiblity Peat doesn't last until 25th overall or that the Panthers go another year without getting the blindside protector of Newton's future, at least not on day one.

D.J. Humphries, T.J. Clemmings, Ereck Flowers, Jake Fisher and Cedric Ogbuehi also could reasonably land in the latter part of the first round, and they also possess a mix of first-round upside and major question marks."

http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/4642654-andrus-peat-carolina-panthers-2015-nfl-draft-picks-first-round-lt-offensive-line-tackle

Kiper: Left tackle options limited for Lions at #23 in draft

Mar 26, 2015

ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said in a conference call today that the draft is light on true left tackles. "You're not finding them. They're not out there," Kiper said.

Kiper said that the Lions' best hope of a left tackle falling to No. 23 might be Stanford's Andrus Peat.

"I don't think he'll be there, but if he were, he would be the left tackle you would be looking at," Kiper said.

Beyond Peat, Kiper listed Florida's D.J. Humphries, Oregon's Jake Fisher, and Penn State's Donovan Smith as left tackle prospects that could be available:

"In Humphries, a pure left tackle, needs a little work but has a lot of talent with the kind of feet he brings to the left tackle spot," Kiper said. "Jake Fisher, probably a guy right now that's moved up as much as anybody over the last couple of months, out of Oregon, who's getting overlooked by a lot of people when you talk about mock drafts, for obvious reasons. He was projected more to be a (second-round pick), but it wouldn't shock me if he went in that 25-to-32 range. Maybe a little early for 23. ...

"But I think, where they're picking, the choice that you would look at more would be D.J. Humphries, if you're looking for a natural left tackle that could still be on the board at 23 and would make sense at that point."

On Donovan Smith: "Super talented," Kiper said. "His workout was first-round, his performance was, at times, third-, fourth-round. So I think, if you can coach him up, get him to be more consistent, work on some of the aspects of his play that led to him struggling at times, then you have a guy who can be a really good left tackle in this league. I think he's a guy that's gone through a lot of changes there at Penn State. So I think Donovan Smith, somebody's going to roll the dice with, because you can't find many pure left tackles in this draft. "

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/03/26/nfl-draft-left-tackles-lions/70495216/

Archived