• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Now open for discussion -> The Gettleman Presser Thread

Jeremy Igo

Hello and welcome to the Gettleman Presser Thread.

I know some of you won't be able to stream live, so I will be updating this thread with the Q&A as best I can.

I am locking this topic so that only huddle staff can update the thread until until the presser is finished, at which point I will unlock for general discussion.

Please excuse typos... not proofing...

Gettleman: We are all in our places with bright shiny faces.

lol

Thanks Ron and his staff.

Gettleman: Excited about what we are looking at on the Booreds. None of the Booreds are alike. Have had multiple conversations with coaches who have helped in process with private workouts. Gives you confirmation on what they see. Clears up issues and question mahks. Big paht of the private workout.

Gettleman talkings about draft process. How they make players retain info one day and come back to the boored the next day and display what they learned.

Gettleman:

We don't agree on every guy, that ain't happenin.

Gettleman:

The coaches explain what they are looking for, and we are good listeners.

"Everyone wants to win, but who in this room hates to lose."

That is what he is looking for in prospects.

Last years draft was special, was really a good draft. This year there were a number of kids that would have been first or second round values that decided to stay in. Its not as strong as last years, its a little stronger than the 13 draft.

Won't say how many first round grades he has given out.

The last two years our second round picks we had first round value on.

(discussion on this in all-pro section)

What players are worthy of being in the same conversation. When you get up to 5, 6, 9 it gets crazy and clouds the picture.

They have 3 or 4 guys they want in the first.

"Its a crap shoot guys"

Gave Corey and Andrew a shout for being steals after the draft, (Sorry top dawg, they like Brown)

Joe: DO you think you can get a long term tackle at 25

DG: There is a chance. Its possible that could happen. There is always a chance. Again, its a BPA scenerio for us. Maybe its my old stubborn streak, I'm not reaching for players.

You don't want any position to be a revolving door. Mentions secondary and OL.

You don't want that.

One of the reasons they are insisting on 2 year deals now.

Again states there could be a long term left tackle at 25.

Top 3 positions of need

DG: After evaluations into early february, we had a number of check boxes. We talked about a number of things. We felt we hit those check boxes (in FA). We are always looking to add players.

With the things we have done this offseason, and I am not saying we are perfect, I feel good at where we are at.

I don't feel like we are walking into this draft like we did last year at wide receiver. I feel a lot better going into this draft than last year.

Last year we had wide receivers, tackles, and secondaries. Do I feel like we need to add any of these? No

thoughts on receiving group....

I think that we will find in time that last years group is unique. I really do. There are all shapes and sizes and styles. I think there is even more depth in this years group than last, which sounds crazy. Part of it is the function of the college game.

Last year you told me Kelvin was a raw route runner... my answer was "they all are". BOOM

Odds on drafting RB....

DG: We have Jonathan and Fozzy and feel good about him. Doesn't know if he can handle a full load. There is a chance, if he is the right guy, yeah. There hasn't been a great back in the last few drafts.

RB is a very deep position this year. Different style guys, that fit us.

On having 9 picks.

It gives you pause and makes you consider (a trade). It is definitely doable. It gives you the opportunity to move.

He definitely is considering trading the 5th rounder. You can tell he has put thought into it.

Person asks about the DEs busted for weed

As far as pot is concerned, If its a kid that tested positive and you have an interest in him you have to set him down, meet with him. We will remove guys from the board that we are not comfortable with. They are representing the Carolina Panthers. Ownership has shown who he is, what we are about. We will not bring someone in here that will tarnish that.

There are lines you don't cross, plain and simple.

They used all 30 allowed visitations.

If they come in here, they get grilled pretty hahd. It isn't feather dusters, it is two by fouws.

There are 17 teams that run a 3-4 defense. There are players that we spend too much time on. If we deem him a 3-4 front seven guy, there is no fit for us.

On taking a guy coming off injury.... Good question JJ!

Cliff notes, yes (would take a guy). It is possible. But, you are always looking at the big picture. How bad is the injury, chance for it again. Hows the rehab, etc.

(trying his best not to show his love for Gurley)

Thoughts on edge rushers.

Its a good group, there is guys there. Bunch of guys that fit the 3-4 teams better.

Now telling a story about being with the coaches and evaluating talent. Pretty interesting, go back and watch. Too long to type.

Cam Contract Question from Steve Reed.

Won't answer.

ugh

Any draft day rituals?

No.

Done with evaluations, now it is scenerios. Did a few mock drafts this morning.

15-16 guys in there for the mock draft. Scouts and such. Then we just go around the room, no trades allowed.

This morning Brandon Beane got to make our pick.

Drops his water..

OH< FUMBLE!!!

lol

The end.

Now open for general discussion.

I thought it was good. They are done with evaluations. Interesting that there are no trades in the mocks they do. They must discuss the potential for trades but I guess in the end they don't really care. Being patient and picking when it's your time.

Thanks for the write up. I always look forward to Voth's breakdown. He reads things that I miss and tends to be right on the money.

I was able to get the last 5 minutes to load. Dave really does seem like a guy you would love to have a beer with and just listen to him talk about football. 

ok someone take what getty said and make a list of eliminated picks at #25

I think from what he said and how he said it, you can rule out anyone with dom vio past. So no DGB. However, weed on the other hand he intimated that could be mitigated...depends on how good he is I'm guessing. But DV in your past? He won't put a cat on your hat.

ok someone take what getty said and make a list of eliminated picks at #25

That would be nearly impossible.  

Umm... those small DE's that everyone is so high on.  He's not going for that poo.  I bet he'll have them as more 3-4 LB's, and pass.  DGB, and I think pretty much everyone knows why.  Other than that, and still those are wild guesses... who the hell knows?

Archived