• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL personnel compare Famous Jameis to JaMarcus Russell:

gettlemanjack

19 NFL executives in personnel this month..agreed to list their top five quarterbacks in order (a first-place was worth five points, a second four and so on). Mariota nipped Winston in points, 85-84, but Winston had the edge in first-place votes, 10-9.

"With Jameis Winston I see JaMarcus Russell," a longtime executive in personnel said. "Lack of focus by JaMarcus is what I see in Winston," the personnel man said. "They're physically talented, but during the course of a game they kind of lose their focus and just put the ball up for grabs. ... "I see the lack of focus. I see the same coach and system. Only Winston's not as good an athlete and his arm isn't as strong as JaMarcus'."

Another scout brought it back to Russell, saying, "He's got that same smile that JaMarcus had. They light the room up. That's what Jameis seems to be doing."

another personnel man said:

"Is this guy [Winston] really going to be the first pick of the draft? You'd be drafting a quarterback that can't run, has off-field problems, has no power in his legs and makes bad decisions on the field.

"Somebody's going to make a horrible mistake."

"People were saying, 'Oh, he's a leader,'" said one personnel director. "But it was more of a, 'Hey-look-at-me-kind-of-thing,' as opposed to something good for his teammates.

"I just don't like his whole makeup, his whole salesman act. He's all about himself."

http://m.jsonline.com/sports/packers/jameis-winston-seen-as-having-same-faults-as-07-bust-jamarcus-russell-b99486128z1-301170101.html

You hear this kind of thing, but do you really know if it's legit or if it's another GM blowing smoke in the hopes of drafting a guy?

fwiw I watched that draft camp thing where Winston sat down with Harbaugh at Michigan and came away with a general opinion of the kid.

Mainly I feel that he's very immature, but he is a smart kid.  He looks very out of shape for a guy trying to get drafted, but man when you watch him throw, it's a beautiful thing...  so honestly I would personally have questions about him in the long run, but he definitely has the ability.

I agree that it's a very lazy comparison.  Russel was this kind of supreme arm guy.  He could move a bit, but he was the rocket launcher with some weight issues when he came out.

Winston is the character concern man.  His issues are almost Johnny Manziel sized, if not more so.  He passes the eye ball test generally, and he's got some great things on tape, except for the turnover issues.

Winston is a BIG gamble.  Reading about Mayock's mea culpa about Manziel, he said something that I've seen to hold true a lot: people don't change.  There is a lot of truth to that.  Sometimes, these guys can keep it clean for a while, but fundamentally, they are who they are.  

Some of those character and leadership concerns could be copy/paste what people said about Cam before he was drafted. Seems like NFL personnel elevators are gonna need a bit longer to understand young black confidence. 

Those quotes definitely fit pre-draft Cam way more than they do Jamarcus Russell.

Russell was just lazy with a bad attitude but had the best arm anyone had ever seen except for maybe Elway. Cam was the charismatic leader that people felt was disingenuous.

Some of those character and leadership concerns could be copy/paste what people said about Cam before he was drafted. Seems like NFL personnel elevators are gonna need a bit longer to understand young black confidence. 

What do elevators have to do with this?  :D

I wouldn't compare him to Russel or Manziel.  The kid is not lazy, and he's very football smart, his problem is he has a complete lack of common sense and makes horrible life decisions.  Russel was just fat and lazy.  You can measure his arm strength, but you cant measure someones will to work, which neither Russel or Manziel had.  That said, I don't think effort will be Winston's downfall, it will be the distractions he causes from off the field idiocy.  Best comparison I'd say would be, imagine Greg Hardy as your QB...all the talent in the world, but you never know what the hell he's gonna do to cause distractions on a daily business.

I wouldn't compare him to Russel or Manziel.  The kid is not lazy, and he's very football smart, his problem is he has a complete lack of common sense and makes horrible life decisions.  Russel was just fat and lazy.  You can measure his arm strength, but you cant measure someones will to work, which neither Russel or Manziel had.  That said, I don't think effort will be Winston's downfall, it will be the distractions he causes from off the field idiocy.  Best comparison I'd say would be, imagine Greg Hardy as your QB...all the talent in the world, but you never know what the hell he's gonna do to cause distractions on a daily business.

I like the Greg Hardy comparison.

Black college QB with supposed character issues. Let's find another black QB that failed in the NFL to compare him to. Fugging lazy. How about comparing him to Ryan Leaf or Geoff George.

both Russell and Jameis are products of Jimbo Fisher. I loved watching JaMarcus in college and his play was VERY VERY similar to 2014 Jameis Winston. Both were much better runners and at alluding the sack then people gave them credit for. Both were clutch late in the game to gut out the win. And neither looked like very good QBs. However, I'm talking about 2014 Winston (after he had lost KB). JaMarcus had two WRs go 1st R the same draft he did. As for 2013 Winston, when he had KB (and also a senior who he didn't have in 2014), Winston was one of the best ever. He was basically perfect. JaMarcus never had a season like that. Also, Jameis was much more highly-touted than JaMarcus out of high school, and nobody praised JaMarcus' Football IQ while Winston's football IQ is well-known as off-the-charts by everyone now

Archived