• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Iron Man walks out of interview....

Jeremy Igo

Honestly, there's no problem on either end. Is the guy a bit of a turd? Oh, hell yeah. Is he wrong? Absolutely not.

RDJ is on a press junket, which means he is expecting news outlets to promote his film for him. In other words, the film producers are expecting Journalists (you know the guys who are supposed to be covering news, weather, political scandals, bombings, etc.) to act as free advertising for their film. So they allot time to dozens of media outlets every day to interview their stars and push their movie.

Generally speaking, when you get honored with the opportunity to interview a big star promoting a movie, you're supposed to go all "Nickelodeon Teen Choice Awards" with you questions: "Who is the strongest Avenger?" "Do you like Taylor Swift?" "How did you get in shape for the movie?" "Have you seen this fan-made trailer where they photoshopped all the Avengers with kittens? *holds up phone*"  Are you as a journalist expected to do that? Yeah. Are you obligated to? No.

Marvel gave this guy 10 minutes to ask questions on the assumption they would be softballs so they could make their glimmery star appear more likeable so more people would go see the movie and make them more money. The guy asked hard questions, which is his right. RDJ walked out, which is his right.

No problem at all with what anyone did. What upsets me is the backlash against the reporter. Even RDJ is like, "Are we promoting a movie?" No, you knuckleheads. He's on the friggin' News! It's not E! and this program is not for entertainment purposes. Don't get pissed at a man for doing what would be considered "doing his job" if it were anyone else but an A-lister. It's just part of our bizarre celebrity worship culture.

It's a scenario where all parties are supposed to benefit, and the interviewer violated an unspoken rule. Frankly I kinda respect him for it, even though he's a total turd for the kind of questions he brought up.

Actually, that's an eloquent illustration of my point:

QT wants to use the guys show as a commercial by his own admission to boost his ratings. But he won't allow the interviewer the exact same right. Kinda stupid. Just because you're a moviemaker doesn't mean you're bulletproof.

Meh I'm going to disagree. These junkets are strictly for promoting movies and everyone involved knows it.

If the interviewer wants to bring up controversial topics, score an interview on your own dime.

Meh I'm going to disagree. These junkets are strictly for promoting movies and everyone involved knows it.

If the interviewer wants to bring up controversial topics, score an interview on your own dime.

I agree. Everyone knows this guy can't secure a Diane Sawyer/Barbara Walters type of interview with these huge celebrities, so he's trying to pull one off during what's basically a movie plug.

In my opinion that's like going to a Michael Jordan autograph signing and trying to pester him into playing a game of one on one with you. 

Stars go into these meetings with the agreement beforehand that it will stay with promoting the movie.

They don't grant personal interviews that are more in depth personally to some douche with a camera.

He broke the agreement, he is a douche, RDJ leaves.

I don't like the line of questioning in the RDJ interview as that had nothing to do with the movie or what RDJ was there to talk about. The second interview I thought Tarantino was out of order. I get the stars are there to talk about the movie, but Tarantino doesn't want to address questions about violence in his movie.

As a consumer I'd much rather watch a couple of minutes of how an actor/director thinks a movie reflects society or something more indepth than the usual promo 5 minutes of sycophantic nonsense. 

Idk, I was on the fence with the rdj interview. But, qt definitely came off as a massive douche in that one. And I love Tarantino!

I get where he was trying to go with it. And I'm sure he had been asked that question 1000x.

But, he is right. He is getting a commercial for his movie. It's not free though. The cost of that commercial is answering the interviewer's questions.

If you don't want to discuss a certain topic that you have discussed 1000x, cool. Just tell them that before the interview. Maybe they can come up with some other questions.

I do think the host could have displayed a little more tact and subtlety in how he framed both questions. However, I do admire him for, at least, trying to ask tough questions in what would be, otherwise, fluff pieces.

And the filmmakers know they couldn't get 10 minutes of free press with a full TV audience of millions. Why don't they buy 10 minutes of airtime on their own dime?

Works both ways.

Archived