• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gurley: Ready by training camp

Jeremy Igo

I'd rather have a no. 2 WR than a no. 1 runningback. Not sure why people want to go back in that direction of stacking running backs, especially since it went so well the last time. It's like this place never learns anything.

Kind of agree.

There will be good RBs available in every draft these days.

But a top-notch OT or WR is harder to come by IMO.

What were the other durability issues? Not arguing just not aware of any lingering and nagging issues.

he just got banged up and had to sit out games. i think a quad and an ankle or something.

i think he runs too high at times like lattimore.

the dude is an absolute beast but he didn't get THAT many carries in college and was nicked up a lot.

He has never been healthy since the playoffs in high school 3.5 years ago (December 2011). While he is unarguably a top talent and game breaker, you have to consider that he comes with the permanent tag 'if he stays healthy'. Running backs last for 5 years when they are healthy. Gurley has a good bit of wear now and he will never be able to carry the load as a primary back for an entire season, never mind deep into the playoffs.

The Panthers already have 450 carries tied up in Cam, Stewart, and Tolbert. Whoever the #2 back is will see 5% of the offense on the season unless you take carries away from the others.

Is that situation worth a 1st round pick? Personally, I take him late 2nd or 3rd round as a situational RB if he is still there. Save him for the second half of games and limit his carries until you get to the playoffs.

Here is some info on Gurley's mindset and injuries. I do not go into his personal life even though it does give me reason to believe he will not be in the NFL long after he collects his money with or without a healthy career in the NFL.

2011:

Two severe ankle sprains and a high ankle sprain. He could barely walk but still played. Dec. 2011 High School

2012:

He had limited carries during the season and had minor recurring ankle issues throughout 2012. Limited in practices.

2013:

Gurley missed part of the Clemson opener after pulling a quad. Three weeks later, Left the LSU game after injuring his ankle very badly (walking boot - out 3 weeks). Missed part of the Florida game due to nausea that came on his return from injury. Bulldogs coaches told the press that they were having to juggle Gurley's impact with keeping him healthy going into the 4th quarter each game.

2014:

Gurley was held out of Spring practice due to minor knee and hip issues. Gurley had limited carries the first 3 games of the season. Carried the load for 2 games before getting suspended. A couple weeks before Gurley's ACL injury, UGA paid to raise Gurley's insurance against injuries to $10 million, including $5 million for loss of value. Came back from suspension carrying the load at RB against Auburn. Blew out his ACL without any contact in the 4th quarter with 5 minutes remaining on his 29th carry.

Georgia coaches are honest when saying they had to juggle Gurley's health throughout his college career. This is noticeable when they toss 38 carries on a freshman RB, Nick Chubb, in his first game with Gurley out.

Teammates would mention how Gurley has to fight through ankle soreness constantly to underline his toughness.

Gurley has made known he does not care for running the ball late in games - especially overtime.

Gurley hates the attention and the media. He dislikes the hectic nature of being in the eye of college football fans.

On his injuries from 2013:

"It is what it is. I missed some games, but I could have been out the whole year. I guess I'm lucky I was able to come back and still play." - Todd Gurley (from Times Free Press)

gurleyhurt_medium.gif   

todd-gurley-suffers-left-knee-injury-aga

He has never been healthy since the playoffs in high school 3.5 years ago (December 2011). While he is unarguably a top talent and game breaker, you have to consider that he comes with the permanent tag 'if he stays healthy'. Running backs last for 5 years when they are healthy. Gurley has a good bit of wear now and he will never be able to carry the load as a primary back for an entire season, never mind deep into the playoffs.

The Panthers already have 450 carries tied up in Cam, Stewart, and Tolbert. Whoever the #2 back is will see 5% of the offense on the season unless you take carries away from the others.

Is that situation worth a 1st round pick? Personally, I take him late 2nd or 3rd round as a situational RB if he is still there. Save him for the second half of games and limit his carries until you get to the playoffs.

Here is some info on Gurley's mindset and injuries. I do not go into his personal life even though it does give me reason to believe he will not be in the NFL long after he collects his money with or without a healthy career in the NFL.

2011:

Two severe ankle sprains and a high ankle sprain. He could barely walk but still played. Dec. 2011 High School

2012:

He had limited carries during the season and had minor recurring ankle issues throughout 2012. Limited in practices.

2013:

Gurley missed part of the Clemson opener after pulling a quad. Three weeks later, Left the LSU game after injuring his ankle very badly (walking boot - out 3 weeks). Missed part of the Florida game due to nausea that came on his return from injury. Bulldogs coaches told the press that they were having to juggle Gurley's impact with keeping him healthy going into the 4th quarter each game.

2014:

Gurley was held out of Spring practice due to minor knee and hip issues. Gurley had limited carries the first 3 games of the season. Carried the load for 2 games before getting suspended. A couple weeks before Gurley's ACL injury, UGA paid to raise Gurley's insurance against injuries to $10 million, including $5 million for loss of value. Came back from suspension carrying the load at RB against Auburn. Blew out his ACL without any contact in the 4th quarter with 5 minutes remaining on his 29th carry.

Georgia coaches are honest when saying they had to juggle Gurley's health throughout his college career. This is noticeable when they toss 38 carries on a freshman RB, Nick Chubb, in his first game with Gurley out.

Teammates would mention how Gurley has to fight through ankle soreness constantly to underline his toughness.

Gurley has made known he does not care for running the ball late in games - especially overtime.

Gurley hates the attention and the media. He dislikes the hectic nature of being in the eye of college football fans.

On his injuries from 2013:

"It is what it is. I missed some games, but I could have been out the whole year. I guess I'm lucky I was able to come back and still play." - Todd Gurley (from Times Free Press)

gurleyhurt_medium.gif   

todd-gurley-suffers-left-knee-injury-aga

probably an unfair comparison, but reading that last part gives me the impression that he is ricky williams with durability issues. unreal talent, but gets (and i suppose plays) hurt a lot, and not someone you can count on for the long term. there's just way too many red and yellow flags to feel good about this guy.

probably an unfair comparison, but reading that last part gives me the impression that he is ricky williams with durability issues. unreal talent, but gets (and i suppose plays) hurt a lot, and not someone you can count on for the long term. there's just way too many red and yellow flags to feel good about this guy.

as a Dolfan Ricky Williams was not "hurt a lot". More like "high a lot".

Archived