• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What if Mel Kiper was GM of the Panthers? Three Round Mock

gettlemanjack

4/17/2015

http://www.espn.co.uk/american-football/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/12695891/mel-kiper-jr-makes-picks-gm-every-nfl-team-2015-nfl-draft

In this one, I'm the general manager ... for every team. This isn't me

projecting picks, this is me making them, for three full rounds,

based on what's best for each team at that slot.

Panthers

Round 1 (25) OT Andrus Peat, Stanford

Round 2 (57) WR Sammie Coates, Auburn

Round 3 (89) S James Sample, Louisville

Analysis: Tackle was the No. 1 priority. I know we've made some offseason moves to at least attempt to shore up what was a devastating weakness last year, but I came into this pretty much resigned to targeting the best pass-blocking tackle available. We could do a lot worse than Peat, who will need to continue to make strides, but at least has the upside of a true NFL left tackle, with a great frame and a wide base, as well as the ability to process information and make adjustments. He's also really good as a run-blocker. Coates is a bit of a wild card, an extraordinary athlete who can run past defenders and will make some contested catches, but he'll also drop some easy ones and drive coaches crazy. That said, we took a shot on Kelvin Benjamin last year in Round 1, and while we certainly suffered through some issues in route running and concentration with bringing the ball in, we also got some big plays. Coates brings talent, but no promises. That said, our depth chart at wide receiver demands we take a shot. Sample gives us a player who can compete for a starting role at safety, where we're merely OK. This draft is, again, about helping Cam Newton first."

Coates scares me.  The vast majority of his production last year (and actually all of his TDs) came in only 3 games.  He averaged about 30 yards per game in the other 9 games he played.  He looked like a sure-fire 1st rounder in those 3 games, but in the other 9 games he looked like a guy who isn't even on the NFL radar.

Hate the Coates pick. He's a shorter Stephen Hill with slightly better ball skills and smoothness. Not close to 2nd round worthy in my opinion.

I like Sample but I feel like he's a good vale in the 4th and a slight reach in the 3rd. Wouldn't hate it but I feel like we could do a little better at that pick.

Not the biggest Peat fan, but I would have no complaints if he was the pick at 25.

That...would actually be half decent.  I'd be happy with Peat in the 1st, hate Coates but at least there's upside and at the end of the 2nd it's not a bad value, and I don't know much about Sample but I like the position targeted and there seems to be some here enamored with him.

The main thing that scares me about Coates is his ability to run routes.  He's fast enough to get deep down the field, but not fast enough that he could simply blow by every corner and safety in the league.  I didn't see him get a lot of separation, and only manage to make great catches down the field due to his size.  If I thought he had potential to run good routes, it would  be a great move in the second round.

Archived