• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Proehl drops a bunch of nuggets on WFNZ 610 AM The Fan (link and summary)

gettlemanjack

you can listen to the 20 minute interview here:

https://anthony-dunn-1x9u.squarespace.com/newsfeed/2015/4/16/ricky-proehl-high-on-stephen-hill

nuggets from Proehl:

"I've been all over the country looking for another wide out"

later: "I'm out on the road looking for that #2 guy ... a lot of the guys we have will compete ... hopefully we add another one"

later: "I've been everywhere you can imagine looking for a wide out"

This WR class "may be deeper than last year...may be as deep as last year"

later: "there's some really good ones ... depending on how the draft goes - you never know - there should be a good one to pick from"

on what he's looking for: as a guy without great measurables himself he doesn't get too much into "size, speed, catch radius, arm length and hand size...I knew ball...i just want a guy who is smart and willing to learn...that makes plays...a ball player...i just want a guy who will be productive"

"these guys out of college might be proficient at 3-4 routes...we have 40-50 routes on our route tree...15 variations of a post...you see so many more coverages in the NFL...disguising coverages...need to be able to do your pre-snap read and understand changing your route on the fly"

trying to coach our guys to be "the best route runners in the league...we work Mon through Fri...work everyday"

if Amari Cooper was there at #25 he would be "hootin and hollerin...beating my chest so hard"

on our guys:

Kelvin Benjamin - "love how he's a coachable kid...he can get so much better...he's disappointed in himself for all the drops and the plays he left out there...you coach him then encourage him...coach him to focus 100 percent of the time"

Cotchery - "If I have a man crush on someone it is Jericho Cotchery. ... leadership. ... ultimate pro ... can't say enough about guys like him." Compared him to TD, Luke and Roman Harper for the leadership they bring and the locker room they create

Bersin - "can't say enough about the job he did...one of the smartest - if not the smartest - guy in the room...Cam has unbelievable confidence in him...Peyton Manning would love to have a guy like Bersin...he's going to play a long time and have a good career"

Philly Brown - "fortunate to get him as free agent ... going to be a better player this year"

Stephen Hill - "I can't say enough about this kid...he has done nothing but work his tail off...some of these high draft picks-to-practice squad guys have a poor attitude but not Hill...he's done nothing but work hard and learn our offense... I can’t wait to get my hands on him this spring and in the offseason so as to showcase what he can do. This will be a big spring for him."

Boykin - mentioned him but said nothing about him which is understandable because he hasn't coached him yet

Ted Ginn - "getting him back is huge as a punt returner"

later: "everyone wanted to hang Bersin but he's the best we had...Philly struggled too...fortunately we got Ginn back"

So should I read into that - Bersin on the roster next year? That probably leaves one spot between Corey Brown, Boykin, and Hill, assuming one decent WR is drafted and guaranteed a spot. Fair enough.

But go ahead and let Peyton have Bersin. I am usually the guy that bangs on the "we spent three years coaching him to get to this point and now you want to let him go?' drum. Let him go.

Edit: Thanks for the recap though. Really appreciate that.

So should I read into that - Bersin on the roster next year? That probably leaves one spot between Corey Brown, Boykin, and Hill, assuming one decent WR is drafted and guaranteed a spot. Fair enough.

But go ahead and let Peyton have Bersin. I am usually the guy that bangs on the "we spent three years coaching him to get to this point and now you want to let him go?' drum. Let him go.

Edit: Thanks for the recap though. Really appreciate that.

The good stuff is the talk about prospects not necessarily player talk.  A WR coach won't talk down any of his guys.   

Bersin - "can't say enough about the job he did...one of the smartest - if not the smartest - guy in the room...Cam has unbelievable confidence in him...Peyton Manning would love to have a guy like Bersin...he's going to play a long time and have a good career"

He basically called Bersin the ugly chick with a great personality.

He doesn't want to trash his guys, but saying "he's been everywhere you can imagine looking for a wide out" and admitting that he's hunting "that #2 guy" says it all IMO.

I've said before that I actually like our WR roster if we can add a legit #2. I'm fine with the rest of the guys battling it out for #3 - 5/6.

Archived