• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shakeup within the organization: Mark and Jon Richardson resign

Sam Mills Fan

this.

i saw this earlier and knew that someone was going to start a thread and there would be a little panic. chandler was the first to tweet about this and he said that they would still remain as part of the ownership group.

don't worry. it isn't all that big of a deal at the moment.

jerry is getting old and may feel it is just time to pass ownership on to his sons. resigning as presidents make sense from that perspective.

yea the thread title does not help

"shakeup with the organization"...lol

this.

i saw this earlier and knew that someone was going to start a thread and there would be a little panic.

chandler was the first to tweet about this and he said that they would still remain as part of the ownership group.

don't worry. it isn't all that big of a deal at the moment.

jerry is getting old and may feel it is just time to pass ownership on to his sons. resigning as presidents make sense from that perspective.

Possible, but on the flipside, if that's the case, why not at least allude to that?

The statement from Jerry himself is kind of ambiguous.

"Both Mark and Jon made great contributions to the stadium and team that have enabled us to enjoy much success over the last 15 years, " owner Jerry Richardson said in a statement released today by the team. "At the same time, I am thankful that we have a staff that has been in place for many years and knows our philosophy."

Reading that, my first thought is that they're no longer going to have any hands-on role in the operation of the team.

Possible, but on the flipside, if that's the case, why not at least allude to that?

The statement from Jerry himself is kind of ambiguous.

Reading that, my first thought is that they're no longer going to have any hands-on role in the operation of the team.

i don't see that as a problem or a major issue. if ownership is going to be handed over to them then it would be best to find someone else to run the organization.

i don't see that as a problem or a major issue. if ownership is going to be handed over to them then it would be best to find someone else to run the organization.

Official Story: Panthers.com

Jon, who notified the Panthers' staff last month of his intention, has been involved with Bank of American Stadium since its construction. Mark oversaw the effort to obtain an expansion franchise and has served as the team president since the retirement of Mike McCormack in 1998.

"Both Mark and Jon made great contributions to the stadium and team that have enabled us to enjoy much success over the last 15 years," said Panthers Owner/Founder Jerry Richardson. "At the same time, I am thankful that we have a staff that has been in place for many years and knows our philosophy."

Jon oversaw the construction and opening of the stadium in 1996. Although more than 20 facilities have opened in the National Football League since Bank of America Stadium, it remains one of the most highly regarded venues in the NFL.

"It has been a very exciting time, and I feel very fortunate and pleased to have been a part of it," Jon said. "We have a great staff that has been in place for a long time, and I am confident they will move forward without missing a beat."

Mark was most innovative in the marketing and naming rights areas, overseeing the team's business operations from the beginning of the franchise. He was one of the first executives to obtain naming rights for a stadium, reaching two different naming rights agreements for the stadium. His integrated approach to marketing also enabled the Panthers to be one of the few teams to bring their broadcasting rights in house.

"It has been a great opportunity to work with a franchise from the start and have a chance to see it mature," Mark said. "It has been a unique experience to see dreams become reality."

All very past tense.

Perhaps the ownership reigns are being handed over; but if they are, then it sounds like it's happening with the condition that they be "hands off".

Archived