• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shakeup within the organization: Mark and Jon Richardson resign

Sam Mills Fan

As long as whoever owns the franchise isn't moving it, I DON'T CARE. PERIOD.

I do hope Big Cat can hang on for several more years though, but he didn't look good at all during the game the other night.

BTW, I know LA is such a "lucrative" market supposedly, but I still don't understand why any team would find it appealing to move a franchise back out there again. Ask the Raiders and Rams how that goes...

Sibling disputes! :lol:

Sounds like they got fired...I mean, dad grounded them. :wink:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/121/story/922169.html

Ongoing sibling disputes led to Tuesday's dramatic changes atop the Carolina Panthers' organizational structure, according to sources.

The team issued a surprise news release during the morning practice announcing the dual resignations of team president Mark Richardson and stadium president Jon Richardson, but gave no reason for their departures.

Sources said the brothers had vastly different ideas about how the organization should be run, which ultimately led their father, team owner Jerry Richardson, to decide the best thing for the business was for both of them to leave.

As a result, the Panthers are no longer a predominantly family-run franchise. The only Richardson still involved in the daily operations is Jerry.

Mark and Jon led the organization over the past year while their father first waited for and later recuperated from the heart transplant surgery.

The elder Richardson is now back in charge.

Jon Richardson, 50, wouldn't discuss whether differences between him and Mark, 49, led to their exits.

“I love my mom and dad, I love my brother and I wish the organization the best,” he told The Observer.

The news release said Jon Richardson told staff members last month that he would be stepping aside, which he told the Observer was related in part to health issues.

Different domains

The Richardson brothers had equal authority but different domains. Neither answered to the other.

They experienced the natural sales vs. operations clashes that exist in most pro sports franchises, a dynamic exacerbated by the fact that they are brothers.

Though Jon was in charge of stadium operations, Mark was responsible for acquiring stadium naming rights, sponsorships and stadium signage. Thus, the companies Mark signed on for sponsorships could affect the products and prices for Jon's stadium vendors.

Their differences in personal style have been obvious for years. Mark dresses with a corporate look, while Jon seems more comfortable in khakis.

Mark worked alongside his father in a very visible leading role during the bid to convince NFL owners to award the Carolinas a franchise in the late 1980s and early ‘90s. During that time, Jon owned a garbage collections business in Chapel Hill. Jon moved to Charlotte to run stadium operations after the franchise was awarded in October 1993.

Neither Jerry nor Mark Richardson could be reached, but they were quoted in the press release.

“Both Mark and Jon made great contributions to the stadium and team that have enabled us to enjoy much success over the last 15 years,” said Jerry Richardson. “At the same time, I am thankful that we have a staff that has been in place for many years and knows our philosophy.”

Said Mark: “It has been a great opportunity to work with a franchise from the start and have a chance to see it mature.”

Rare changes at top

Changes at the top of the organization have been rare for the Panthers. Jon Richardson is the only stadium president in team history. Mark Richardson replaced Mike McCormack as team president in early 1997.

Mark oversaw the team's business operations, including obtaining naming rights twice for the stadium and taking an innovative approach to marketing. That included bringing the team's broadcast rights in-house. He also was a member of the NFL's prestigious Competition Committee, which recommends rules changes each year. He will be replaced in that role, according to a league spokesman.

Jon oversaw the construction of the stadium, its 1996 opening and its daily operations since then.

After practice Tuesday, coach John Fox voiced continued confidence in the franchise's direction.

“I've always been a guy to try to stay in (my) lane,” said Fox. “I enjoyed working with both (Mark and Jon). One thing I can say is, I have the utmost trust and confidence in Mr. Richardson doing what's going to be best for this team and organization.”

Mark and Jon will remain members of the team's ownership partnership group, according to the news release. Jerry and his wife, Rosalind, and their daughter, Ashley, also are part of the group.

There were no details from team officials about whether replacements will be hired for their positions, or what sort of succession plan was in place for the top spot in the organization.

Owner ‘strong as a bull'

Charlotte developer Johnny Harris, a member of the ownership group, said Jerry Richardson met with partners Tuesday morning, apprising them of organizational changes and assuring them that he was leading the franchise.

Jerry Richardson has had a less active role in the past year since news last fall that he needed a heart transplant, which he received on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 1.

“Everyone was impressed with Jerry physically,” said Harris. “He was engaged and as strong as a bull. When he's challenged, he steps forward and he's a great leader. He was as strong as a bear and committed to having the best franchise possible. The ownership group was entirely behind him.”

Harris and Panthers officials said emphatically that the team is not for sale and won't be moving out of Charlotte.

“I'm upset that there's some stuff out there that the team might be for sale,” Harris said. “It was clear at the meeting that this team is not for sale.”

The Panthers' partnership group includes five Richardson family members and a dozen others, according to the team's media guide. It includes notable names such as UNC system president Erskine Bowles and Family Dollar Stores founder Leon Levine.

Charlotte-based Bank of America Corp. also has close ties to the team. The bank administers a loan for the team's stadium and has the naming rights for the building. Bank of America spokesman Joe Goode said the bank “remains supportive of the Carolina Panthers organization and its fans.”

Staff writers Ron Green Jr. and Rick Rothacker contributed.

Archived