• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CBS Re-Mock

paulSM

Ok, so I was looking at the CBS 7 round mock (see other thread), and decided to do my own re-mock using the players they had as available.  Also, I think the panthers could easily use the extra picks they received to move up in the 4th and 5th rounds to grab the guys they want. However, it just didn't make any sense with the way this particular mock worked out. So I didn't do any trades

Round 1 (CBS): T.J. Clemmings, OT

Round 1 (ME):  Erik Flowers, OT

I think this one is pretty obvious.  Clemmings looked like a solid pick until I realized that they had Flowers as still available.  I think that Gman would agree as well.

Round 2 (CBS): Agholor, WR

Round 2 (ME): Same, WR

Yes please... This gives us our two biggest needs while grabbing the BPA in both rounds.  We could draft duds here on out and be just fine.

Round 3 (CBS): Duke Johnson, RB

Round 3 (ME): Alex Carter, WR

I wrestled with this one.  I like Duke Johnson, and I like David Johnson (who is also available) even better, but this draft is full of RB, and only has a couple CB who could man the outside someday.  We're going to need Carter next year.

Round 4 (CBS): Garrett Grayson, QB

Round 4 (ME): Javorius Allen, RB

I think this was the pick the huddle had the most heartburn with.  Why burn a 4th rounder on a QB this year if we could just do it next year.  That being said, I really wanted to draft Justin Cox... but with the history we have with domestic violence it's just not going to happen.  Besides, we already got Carter who is almost as good without the off-field issues. 

Round 5 (CBS): Senquez Golson, CB

Round 5 (ME): Gerod Holliman,S

Golson doesn't fit our team as we already have a nickel CB.  As for Holliman, CBS had us getting him with our next pick, but the reality is he is the BPA at this point so I grabbed him early.

Round 5 (CBS): Gerod Holliman, S

Round 5 (ME): Corey Robinson, OT

Same as above

Round 5 (CBS): Corey Robinson, OT

Round 5 (ME): Zach Hodges, OLB

Smart player who can provide depth at DE/OLB and play ST.

Round 6 (CBS): Andy Gallik, C

Round 6 (ME): Andy Gallik, C

Like this selection a lot, but I could easily see us not owning this pick when it rolls around

Round 7 (CBS): Troy Hill, CB

Round 7 (ME): Josh Shaw, CB/S

OK, so now I'm violating my own rules against anybody who has been associated with domestic violence.  But shaw is clearly one of the BPA, Carolina likes picking DBs and RBs in the late rounds, and he's the only DB left that really fills a need.  As long as you can't get rid of this pick for more value next year, I'm all for throwing it as a high-ceiling player that just might pan out.  CBS also has Chaz Green available, who I would have selected if we hadn't already taken two OTs.

So in summary

CBS: OT, WR, RB, QB, CB, S, OT, C, CB

ME: OT, WR, CB, RB, S, OT, OLB, C, CB/S

pretty similar... and if the real draft is anything close to CBS's version we'll get plenty of talent in needed areas

I think the problem with Agholor or any of those smaller receivers is that Rivera and therefore Gettlemen put a premium on receivers knowing how to block or them having the frame to become proficient blockers.

Only the Vikings have run more than the Panthers since Cam/Rivera came to town, so why invest such a high pick on someone who will probably only be in 3 receiver sets while Rivera is our coach.

While Agholor is no doubt a better receiver than say a Jamison Crowder or a Stefon Diggs, he probably isn't as worth it value wise as both fore mentioned receivers who can be had in approximately the 5th round.

If Agholor was a free agent, I could see giving him a shout but when draft picks are as much as they are I don't see them wasting a pick in their first 3 rounds on a non-impact player.

I think the problem with Agholor or any of those smaller receivers is that Rivera and therefore Gettlemen put a premium on receivers knowing how to block or them having the frame to become proficient blockers.

Only the Vikings have run more than the Panthers since Cam/Rivera came to town, so why invest such a high pick on someone who will probably only be in 3 receiver sets while Rivera is our coach.

While Agholor is no doubt a better receiver than say a Jamison Crowder or a Stefon Diggs, he probably isn't as worth it value wise as both fore mentioned receivers who can be had in approximately the 5th round.

If Agholor was a free agent, I could see giving him a shout but when draft picks are as much as they are I don't see them wasting a pick in their first 3 rounds on a non-impact player.

Non impact player? Knowing how to block? You obviously haven't seen Agholor play football once, have you?

I'd have no problem with Agholor in the 2nd, but the knock on his blocking is legit.  But, to be fair, very few college WRs block at an NFL ready level.  Most of them are terrible blockers, Agholor included.

He's a willing blocker. Effectiveness is inconsistent, but would improve with some added muscle. He sets up blocks well, but just doesn't finish consistently due to strength. That's a lot more than you can say about most WR coming out of college. Whatever you say tho....

Non impact player? Knowing how to block? You obviously haven't seen Agholor play football once, have you?

I said in the Rivera offense he'd be a non-impact players as compared to other possible selections at his point, a Jake Fisher could potentially be an every down LT and he's in the 2nd round range.

And he was a somewhat ineffective blocker on college DBs, so in all likelihood he will be much worse on professional DBs.

The 3rd WR on our team was Philly last year and he had less than 300 yards, so Agholor would get 400-600 yards maybe without any injuries, something he has had a history of.

Philly could do that and is already on the roster.

He's a willing blocker. Effectiveness is inconsistent, but would improve with some added muscle. He sets up blocks well, but just doesn't finish consistently due to strength. That's a lot more than you can say about most WR coming out of college. Whatever you say tho....

Okay, so basically he's a terrible blocker who you're making excuses for.  Got it.

Okay, so basically he's a terrible blocker who you're making excuses for.  Got it.

Sure, if that's what you took out it....cool.

How about this: Fundamentally, he's a sound blocker. He just doesn't finish them consistently because with his current strength level it creates challenges. There's no reason you couldn't assume that he'll become more consistent as he adds muscle in an NFL strength and conditioning program. Clear enough? Not an excuse, analysis. One that most profiles seem to mention as well. 

Sure, if that's what you took out it....cool.

You make a thread on why we should take Agholor & then throw a hissy fit when someone doesn't agree with you?

I'm willing to listen to why he should be the pick if logic/reason are applied and I don't have anything against Agholor, but I don't think he's gonna be the pick.

The only saving grace that might have him as the pick IMO is if Shula feels comfortable with Agholor playing the Joker role Cotchery played last year out of the backfield.

You make a thread on why we should take Agholor & then throw a hissy fit when someone doesn't agree with you?

I'm willing to listen to why he should be the pick if logic/reason are applied and I don't have anything against Agholor, but I don't think he's gonna be the pick.

The only saving grace that might have him as the pick IMO is if Shula feels comfortable with Agholor playing the Joker role Cotchery played last year out of the backfield.

Sorry, I thought it was a valid question based on your analysis. Didn't seem like you had watched much of Agholor, if any at all. 

Archived