• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peanut is now 2nd-oldest Panther. How many NFL CBs are older?

gettlemanjack

Voth: "When cornerback Charles Tillman signed with the Panthers Thursday, he became the second-oldest player on the roster. He’s eight months younger than defensive tackle Colin Cole"

http://blackandbluereview.com/panthers-cornerback-charles-tillman-resurrect-career-in-carolina/

How many active NFL CBs are older? I found two:

There are only 3 CBs among the Top 50 active NFL players with most games started:

age 36 Terence Newman (2x Pro Bowl: in 2007 and 2009) - recently signed a 1 yr/$2,250,000 contact (only $750,000 guaranteed) with the Vikings. Started 13 games for Bengals last year, and was graded as Pro Football Focus’ 76th-ranked cornerback in pass coverage. Per Rotoword: with the Vikings, he "has the edge on Captain Munnerlyn and Josh Robinson for the starting job opposite Xavier Rhodes thanks to his experience in coach Mike Zimmer's system. Zimmer and Newman were together in Dallas and Cincinnati, and Newman had successful runs under Zimmer in both stops."

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2708/terence-newman

age 34 Rashean Mathis (will be 35 on Aug 27) - He was 1st Team All-Pro and a Pro Bowler in 2006. Recently signed a 2 yr/$3.5 contract (only $750,000 guaranteed) with Detroit. Started 16 games for Lions last year and graded out as the 12th-best corner in the league, according to Pro Football Focus. Note how important it is to have a dominant DL like the Lions had last year. Like Peanut Tillman said the other day: "As a defensive back, what I was taught and what I was brought up on is a secondary is only as strong as its D-line. ... I'm only as good as my defensive line. I give all my credit to the defensive line"

age 34 Peanut Tillman (will be 35 in Feb 2015). 1st Team All-Pro in 2012. 2x Pro Bowl: in 2011 and 2012. Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year in 2013. Recently signed 1 yr deal with Panthers worth up to $1.75 million

110812_charles-tillman_400.jpg

We already know his age. The question is whether or not he still has some high quality play in his tank---the same quality right before his injuries---and if he can stay healthy. Apparently more than a few, including himself, thinks that he's good on both accounts. I am sure that no one expects him to play for another five years, as that's not how it usually works.

How well did he play when he actually was healthy enough to play in 2013 and 2014?

it looks like he hasn't been completely healthy since 2012

PFF on his 2013 season:

-"After a phenomenal 2012 [Tillman's All-Pro season] where we rated him the 19th best player in football [and compared him to Darrelle Revis, who is 4 years younger than Tillman], Tillman started 2013 poorly (giving up seven TDs in nine games while struggling with a knee injury) before tearing his tricep and missing the final seven games [note Tillman also had 3 FFs, 3 INTs this season]"

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/15/tillman-done-for-year-where-now-for-bears/

-"Last season (2013) was a rough one for Tillman. He battled injuries, leading to ineffective play over the first half of the season, and he ultimately landed on injured reserved with a torn triceps.

Tillman tested the open market, but there was little interest in his services outside of a visit with his former head coach Lovie Smith in Tampa. The talk leading up to free agency was whether the 33-year-old would be willing to shift to safety. This seems a logical transition for Tillman given his skillset and ability to make big plays."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/16/bears-re-sign-charles-tillman/

as for his 2014 season, Tillman only played the first two games (1 PD, 9 tackles) before tearing his bicep again and was rated a +0.5 grade by PFF over his 99 snaps which is a big improvement over James Dockery (-4.3 last yr) and Thomas DeCoud (-5.8 last yr)

Tillman doesn't cost us hardly anything. Harper, Boston, Norman and Benwikere all return.

At very worse:

we add a team leader with an incredible love for the game of football (“I love the game. I’m not going to stop ’til I’m dead,” Tillman told USA Today). That love for football will be contagious and only serve to inspire our team further. Tillman will be awesome in the film room and in position meetings, which only makes our team even better. For the fans, and the world of football in general, he provides an inspirational comeback after being written off as done last year by pretty much everyone

At very best:

we get an early 30's Darrelle Revis

Archived