• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Cosell: Todd Gurley "arguably the #1 prospect in this draft"

gettlemanjack

Gotten worse? If having three 1000 yard rushing seasons as a 6th round pick is getting worse maybe you need to get your eyes checked. Morris has been a top 10 back since entering the league.

Alfred Morris is a good RB and was a GREAT value pick, but it's fair to point out that his stats have declined every year.

1613 yards to 1275 yards to 1074 yards and 4.8ypc to 4.6ypc to 4.1ypc.

Don't see how that's not getting worse?

and then get used to seeing him more on the staionary bike than on the field.

fits the panther RB mold perfectly in that regard. overvalue an RB and watch him hurt and in street clothes on the sidelines talking about how he wished he could be out there on the field.

A totally valid concern, but it's funny - there are guys who are injury prone in college that have very healthy NFL careers and guys who are healthy all through college and can never seem to stay off the IR when they hit the NFL. 

Like all of this draft stuff, it's a crap shoot but if this kid really is one of the top 5 most talented prospects in this draft and he falls into your lap at 25 I think you have to give it very serious consideration. The Panthers brought him in as one of the 30 visits your allowed to have, so it sounds like they're putting themselves in a position to seriously consider it. 

A totally valid concern, but it's funny - there are guys who are injury prone in college that have very healthy NFL careers and guys who are healthy all through college and can never seem to stay off the IR when they hit the NFL. 

Like all of this draft stuff, it's a crap shoot but if this kid really is one of the top 5 most talented prospects in this draft and he falls into your lap at 25 I think you have to give it very serious consideration. The Panthers brought him in as one of the 30 visits your allowed to have, so it sounds like they're putting themselves in a position to seriously consider it. 

Yep.  With a game as grueling as football, injuries are going to happen.  Hell, a big part of staying healthy in football comes down to just pure luck.  You're gonna get hurt occasionally, some guys get lucky with those injuries and have them be of the variety that doesn't significantly impact their play.  Then, some guys like Favre are just too damn tough for their own good and would still be out there unless they were paralyzed from the neck down.

But for the record, I think there's very little chance he falls all the way to us at 25, just too much talent for 24 other teams to pass up on. 

Dan Morgan :(

Dan Morgan :(

The biggest "what if" in Panthers' history IMO.

I think most people have largely forgotten just what kind of one man wrecking crew Dan Morgan was.  But, it was that reckless, wild playing style that primarily led to his injury issues.  When you're trying to deliver a kill shot with every hit, every now and then you're gonna come out on the losing end of those hits.

I think most people have largely forgotten just what kind of one man wrecking crew Dan Morgan was. But, it was that reckless, wild playing style that primarily led to his injury issues. When you're trying to deliver a kill shot with every hit, every now and then you're gonna come out on the losing end of those hits.

He was my favorite player for years. 25 tackles in the Superb Owl. 25. In the SB.

Luke has taken the sting out of that thankfully.

I think most people have largely forgotten just what kind of one man wrecking crew Dan Morgan was. But, it was that reckless, wild playing style that primarily led to his injury issues. When you're trying to deliver a kill shot with every hit, every now and then you're gonna come out on the losing end of those hits.

"What if" or "If only" :(

Patrick Jeffers and Tshimanga Biakabutuka go in that category for me too.

There is no way a RB can be the #1 player because you have to take position availability into consideration.  For example, if you can find a good RB in round 4, but you can't find a good QB after the 4th pick, then the QB has to be the better player because he is more rare.  If a GM passed on a starting qb (when the team needed one desperately) and took a star RB--an AP or Beast mode---he has still made a mistake because you win with QBs.

Archived