• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Cosell: Todd Gurley "arguably the #1 prospect in this draft"

gettlemanjack

I know an ACL injury is a gamble, but it's not a silver bullet by any stretch.  Gurley suffered it at 20 years old and, much like Peterson and Lynch, is a physical specimen with a frame that can overcome it.

Speaking of Peterson, after tearing his ACL, he put up a 2,000+ yard season, followed by a 1,200 yard season.

In three seasons since his ACL injury, Jamaal Charles has put up over 3,800 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns, along with another 1,200 yards and 12 touchdowns receiving.

These might be outliers in this conversation, but if you can believe that Gurley is an elite talent at RB, then there's no reason to think that he can't recover like other elite level RBs.  The injury is nowhere near the extent of Lattimer or even McGahee's blowout in the National Championship game at the U.

I don't think he will be an option at 25, but if he is, we need to run that card up to the Commish.

You could do a list like this for every single position in football. Also being drafted in the first round does not necessarily mean you have first round talent. I mean the Browns drafted Manziel in the first round last year and Brandon Weeden at QB in 2012.

They also drafted Tim Couch and Brady Quinn.  :phew:  :phew:

If I'm a collegiate QB, I want nothing to do with that town. 

I live in Atlanta so obviously I see a lot of UGA games. The thing that makes him so ridiculous, on top of his size and strength, is how quickly he can cut and accelerate out of the cut. This is just some random highlight but watch how easily he moves and how quickly he can turn it into top gear.

Now compare this to Trent Richardson. Trent was a powerful dude, and it turns out he's really fuging dumb, but just watch the different when he cuts and changes direction. It looks like he's running in quicksand. This is an incredible run, don't get me wrong, but you can tell the difference.

I know an ACL injury is a gamble, but it's not a silver bullet by any stretch. Gurley suffered it at 20 years old and, much like Peterson and Lynch, is a physical specimen with a frame that can overcome it.

Speaking of Peterson, after tearing his ACL, he put up a 2,000+ yard season, followed by a 1,200 yard season.

In three seasons since his ACL injury, Jamaal Charles has put up over 3,800 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns, along with another 1,200 yards and 12 touchdowns receiving.

These might be outliers in this conversation, but if you can believe that Gurley is an elite talent at RB, then there's no reason to think that he can't recover like other elite level RBs. The injury is nowhere near the extent of Lattimer or even McGahee's blowout in the National Championship game at the U.

I don't think he will be an option at 25, but if he is, we need to run that card up to the Commish.

It's not just the ACL:

"Gurley missed time mainly due to an ankle injury suffered early in the LSU game. He also suffered a thigh injury in the opener against Clemson. He finished with 1,007 yards and 10 touchdowns."

Between injuries and suspensions, the guy played about 1 season of games over the last two games.

I'd rather take a lesser talent that isn't damaged.

He played in 30 of 36 possible games in his career, not counting the suspension which I feel shouldn't matter due to the reason for the suspension not being illegal in the NFL. If you feel comfortable with his ACL, which is the biggest issue with him in my opinion. I see no reason why you should let a sprained ankle scare you away from one of the top five talents in the draft. Especially if he somehow fell to 25.

Because you don't know what you're watching.

The two are nothing alike. 

While I somewhat agree with your assessment of them, the OP is quoting someone who thought Trent was every bit as good a prospect, and sure thing, as Gurley. So how much credibility are we supposed to put into his opinion.

right or wrong (and show me an analyst who isn't wrong), Cosell puts in the work and doesn't rely on popular opinion or mere highlights to grade a player. I would put him a step below an actual front office or scouting department evaluator. which puts him pretty far above the average draft analyst who watches broadcast cuts on draftbreakdown. also, part of what makes Cosell worth listening to is he has been doing this long enough to be able to watch a prospect and evaluate physical traits moreso than actual football skill, because as he often says, skill can be improved through coaching on the NFL level, and traits not so much. 

While I somewhat agree with your assessment of them, the OP is quoting someone who thought Trent was every bit as good a prospect, and sure thing, as Gurley. So how much credibility are we supposed to put into his opinion.

when you talk about players for a living you're going to be right and wrong a lot. it comes with the territory.

Archived