• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reminder: the Pro Day season just ended. Every mock or big board you've read before now is meaningless

gettlemanjack

For example: "hurr Cedric Ogbuehi was projected 1st R in mock drafts during the regular season." So was, for example, Devin Funchess, and nobody thinks that now.

Another example: "hurr, I began to study mocks during the window after the combine that had Jaelen Strong jumping up to the #4 WR in the draft so I'm going to believe that forever!"

Again: the Pro Day season just ended. Every mock or big board you've read before now is meaningless

The Draft is 14 working days away. It will be interesting to see the mocks and big boards the analysts spend these last 14 working days on now that the Pro Day season has ended

Of course, you could argue all mocks and big boards are meaningless and that's fine.

Of course that doesn't mean I don't like looking at some mocks, sometimes I do. I just think they are meaningless.

Mocks while meaningless for their predictiveness are actually useful because it gives teams a pretty good idea how the draft will fall. Teams pay attention to them and do their own mock drafts a few days before the actual draft. Obviously no one can correctly predict trades and even 1 pick being wrong will ruin an entire mock but they have their uses and help teams be prepared for the most likely scenarios.

What I would consider the bigger picture...

Everything that you've been hearing up to now and everything you'll hear between now and the draft about who's rising, who's falling, what round someone is projected to, etc etc is all coming from media and draft analysts. As such, it's accuracy is very hit or miss.

You'll see guys talk about what they're hearing from inside sources, but at a time of the year when nobody wants to show their cards, how seriously would you really take that?

Draft projections are rarely worth much past the first few picks. Nobody has the kind of info they think they do, and even the best analysts rarely see things the way team scouts and personnel men do.

Draft prognostication is loads of fun to talk about, but putting any real faith in it is generally a mistake.

Mocks while meaningless for their predictiveness are actually useful because it gives teams a pretty good idea how the draft will fall. Teams pay attention to them and do their own mock drafts a few days before the actual draft. Obviously no one can correctly predict trades and even 1 pick being wrong will ruin an entire mock but they have their uses and help teams be prepared for the most likely scenarios.

Teams do not pay attention to mocks done by the media.

Archived