• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL.com: 7 teams with most obvious 1st-round draft need (Panthers #4)

gettlemanjack

If there is not a clear starting-LT caliber OT at #25, I would bet that we take a DL and WR before possibly addressing OT in the 3rd round or later. Would love to see Lael Collins fall to us, but that's more of a pipe dream

Why does it specifically have to be a LT prospect? Drafting a ten year starter at RT would be an excellent pick. I think Flowers could be that guy.

Why does it specifically have to be a LT prospect? Drafting a ten year starter at RT would be an excellent pick. I think Flowers could be that guy.

Our most glaring hole is at LT, that's why. However, Gman would definitely ****** up Flowers at #25 if he thought he could be a 10-year starter at RT, as long as there wasn't a DT/DE that unexpectedly fell to us at #25. 

also note:

"5. Denver Broncos: Offensive tackle

Much like Carolina, Denver must take care of a veteran quarterback whose health and success are key to the team's success. In this case, it's Peyton Manning, who is more fragile and less mobile than Newton and therefore needs the edge protected even more effectively. ... It's possible that the Broncos could go for defense at No. 28, but there is a wide gap between first-round offensive tackles and those that Denver could look at in the second round (No. 59) or third (No. 92)."

This line of thinking by NFLN is spot on in regards to available OTs after round one. There will be a few available at 25, but if we bypass it there, I only see 1 potential OT falling to 57, if we're lucky. It could be Ogbuehi or maybe Clemmings, but I anticipate a run on OTs mid-first round, and then the rest get gobbled up early 2nd.

I don't care which position we address at 25 and 57 because I think there will be a homerun awaiting us at any path, depending on who gets selected prior.  

It's all preference for DG, and I think Landon Collins and Todd Gurley are the wildcards for us.  If one of them is there, I think it's a no-brainer. I'd love if somehow Devante Parker could slide because he's my favorite WR in this class for what we need, that is within reason, but I don't see him making it out of the top-20.

Back to the comment about first round OTs though.  If Carolina is dead-set on getting a starting-calibre OT for 2015, they're going to have to do it in the 1st round.  After that, you've got talented guys that could be eventual pieces like Rob Crisp, Daryl Williams, etc.  With the way DG has put a band-aid over the OL this offseason with the signings of Oher/Martin, it makes a ton of sense that OT is put off a bit in this draft.

That being said, I believe our pick at 25 will be Odighi from UCLA.  Kid is a beast and his metrics equate to a good trajectory at the next level. 

Owamagbe+Odighizuwa+Nebraska+v+UCLA+bUOO

Besides, the only position that Getts hasn't added to yet in free agency (other than QB & kickers), is defensive end. 

RB - Todman

WR - Ginn, Boykin, Brown

TE - Dickson 

OL - Oher, Martin

DT - Cole, Edwards

LB - Trusnik

CB - Williams, Tillman

S - Coleman

#Gettlemagic

More ways than one for keeping a qb's jersey clean. Sure handed quick working receivers, a confident passer and solid game plan work just fine.

BPA

A solid game plan is not an option here for Carolina, well, at least not as long as Shula's our OC.

I dunno, carolinas free agency seems to show they may be going in the direction of a DE in the 1st.

I agree we could go DE in 1st and that Owa would be a great pick, but it's not like we haven't been signing a bunch of DEs recently:

2012 - Frank Alexander (4 yr contract) - FA after 2015 sesson

2013 - Wes Horton (3 yr contract) - FA after 2015 season

2014 - Kony Ealy (4 yr contract)

2014 - Mario Addison (2 yr extension) - FA after 2016 season

both 2013 and 2014 - restructured Charles Johnson's contract - if we cut CJ after 2015 season (when CJ turns 30), we free up $11M in cap space. But we can always restructure his contract/have him agree to a whole new contract

Archived