• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mayock: 2015 WR class has eight with 1st round grade

gettlemanjack

what has changed ?

Just watched more of him really. I also thought he would measure in around 6'4" but was 6'2" at the combine. For the freakish vertical and great 40 he posted at the combine I don't think he plays nearly that fast and doesn't seem like a particularly fluid or natural athlete. I think he will struggle immensely creating separation in the NFL and have to make contested catches consistently to make a living at the next level. Doesn't do a whole lot after the catch but is a good target in the red zone. Thankfully he has great hands but I don't think he offers a whole lot more than what Kelvin brings to the table outside of the consistent mitts. I think Strong becomes an average #2 possession receiver in the future. I want a burner that can stretch the field and be an explosive playmaker in the passing game... something we are lacking. Perriman fits the bill for me there. As does Dorsett, Devin Smith, and Agholor. I just believe what those receivers bring to the table all bring a dimension to this offense we don't or may have never had and compliment Kelvin better than Strong.

I won't mind the Strong pick if it happens because I want a receiver in the first round by a long shot and want us to finally get serious about surrounding Cam with legitimate options in the passing game.

Just watched more of him really. I also thought he would measure in around 6'4" but was 6'2" at the combine. For the freakish vertical and great 40 he posted at the combine I don't think he plays nearly that fast and doesn't seem like a particularly fluid or natural athlete. I think he will struggle immensely creating separation in the NFL and have to make contested catches consistently to make a living at the next level. Doesn't do a whole lot after the catch but is a good target in the red zone. Thankfully he has great hands but I don't think he offers a whole lot more than what Kelvin brings to the table outside of the consistent mitts. I think Strong becomes an average #2 possession receiver in the future. I want a burner that can stretch the field and be an explosive playmaker in the passing game... something we are lacking. Perriman fits the bill for me there. As does Dorsett, Devin Smith, and Agholor. I just believe what those receivers bring to the table all bring a dimension to this offense we don't or may have never had and compliment Kelvin better than Strong.

I won't mind the Strong pick if it happens because I want a receiver in the first round by a long shot and want us to finally get serious about surrounding Cam with legitimate options in the passing game.

I'm not a huge Strong fan either, but I don't see how his great combine numbers could deter you. I think it reinforces everything you see on tape. He got behind the defense quite a few times, and his 40 further proves that ability. Like I said in a previous response to your post in another thread (can't remember which) I will take good hands and a tough athlete every time over speed. I agree with you that I don't really want the Panthers to take him at 25 overall, but I think the limit you've created for Strong is way below his potential. Also I just generally disagree that we need a burner as a #2. I think we need someone whose tough with good hands, Jarvis Landry, Steve Smith esque. Cam already has Ginn for deep balls, and I'm sure Philly will learn a thing or 2 from him this season that will help him develop into that burner type WR.

All I have to say is that Agholor is and will be the better WR from what I've seen. He is a superb route runner, with a little shake and bake to boot to gain separation when warranted. He has excellent hands. He is fluid, and he plays with an extra gear. On top of all that, he is also a legitimate return man.

I guess I am still just confused, maybe even amused, that people still think Strong is the better value when a good amount of the evidence points to the contrary.

Regardless of what Mayock thinks, the media thinks, etc., we are sitting in the best part of the draft, IMO.  

This draft, much like last year's, is full of talent that is scattered all over the board.  There will be several talented players that are sitting there, that DG will get to choose from. I have a feeling there will be at least 2 OTs, 2 WRs, 1 CB and potentially Landon Collins and Todd Gurley that present the most value.  I also feel that Odighizuwa and Preston Smith could make equal sense at 25. 

I think Gettleman played FA super smart, and knows that he will land two studs within the first three rounds, as well as 2015 versions of Benwikere and Boston at some point as well. Considering the talent pool was so large last year, DG was also able to scoop up solid contributors in the UDFA market. I have no doubt that he can find one more this year too. 

I really hope that Parker drops this year to the early 20s. I could see a team like Cleveland or San Fran jumping on Perriman or DGB possibly.  It happens every year, and those two franchises are ass backwards enough to do it.  Passing on proven talent, for potential and upside. It's a gamble, but like Koren Robinson going #9 in '01 over Reggie Wayne and Chad Johnson, if a team falls in love with a player, it's a wrap. 

This scenario might not be probable, but every year, a story like this happens, and a player drops. If Parker makes it to 20-22, I think Gettleman could at this point, ponder moving up. 

I too was a fan of Strong based on his highlight reel - but the more I watched the more I became convinced that he just isn't a first round talent. The below article does a good job of breaking down the issues in his game with film examples. It has been posted before but is worth posting again, I think.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2421862-why-jaelen-strong-does-not-belong-in-the-first-round-of-the-2015-nfl-draft

And yes - it's bleacher report, but Fahey is actually a very good analyst.

The huddle kept saying the exact same thing about LSU receivers last year and look at what OBJ & Jarvis Landry are doing

They were crazy to believe it. Anybody that watched those guys play college ball new they were gonna make a splash in the NFL. I was upset we didn't go after Landry.

Archived