• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mayock: 2015 WR class has eight with 1st round grade

gettlemanjack

Same guy said Blaine Gabbert was his #1 QB the same yr as Cam.

THIS!! Mayock is the same turd who screamed, "They could have drafted him in the 3rd round!", when Dallas traded back with San Fran to pick Travis Frederick in '13. Turned out, Dallas was justified when Frederick was named All-Rookie. In his second year, he mad the Pro Bowl. I love NFLN, but Mayock is hard to listen to at times. It seems to me that his 8 WRs with first round grades is a reaction to how well the rookie receivers played last year. This is a deep WR class, but 8?? Talk about reaching??

Keary Colbert, 2nd round, 2004

Dwayne Jarrett, 2nd round, 2007

Steve Smith (NYG), 2nd round, 2007 

R. Jay Soward, 1st round, 2000 

Patrick Turner, 3rd round, 2009

Damian Williams, 3rd round, 2010

Mike Williams, 1st round, 2005. 

Prior history proves there is a right to be skeptical.

that's bollocks.

You can get a list of WR's drafted the last decade from 95% of all college teams and find only 1-2 players making an impact. 

I want to buy into the Agholor bandwagon but I just can't get over the stigma that surrounds USC receivers. They always carry hype and never pan out.

USC produced Hall of Fame WR Lynn Swann. Since Lynn Swann, there have only been 5 WRs from Power 5 conference schools that have been inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame:

Notre Dame (Tim Brown)

Ohio State (Cris Carter)

Miami (Michael Irvin)

Stanford (James Lofton)

Syracuse (Art Monk)

There haven't been any USC WRs taken in the 1st R in the last decade (last was 2005)

As for USC WRs taken in the 2nd R, there have only been 5 since the mid-80s. The only two that turned out to be busts were the two the Panthers took with Marty Hurney as our GM. So the only common denominator in USC WRs turning out to be busts is Marty Hurney. Hurney isn't our GM anymore.

USC WRs taken 2nd R since the mid-80s:

Marqise Lee, 2nd R 2014

2014 - one of the 4 WRs Bortles spread the ball to evenly along with

Allen Hurns, Allen Robinson and Cecil Shorts (and they let Shorts go, he's a Texan now)

Robert Woods, 2nd R 2013

2013 - Bills co-#1 WR with Stevie Johnson

2014 - Bills #2 WR alongside Sammy Watkins

Dwayne Jarrett, 2nd R 2007

bust

Steve Smith, 2nd R 2007

2008 - Giants co-#1 with Amani Toomer

2009 - Pro Bowl WR with 1,220 yds

2010 - Giants #3 WR

Keary Colbert, 2nd R 2004

bust other than his rookie year when he was our #2 WR

THIS!! Mayock is the same turd who screamed, "They could have drafted him in the 3rd round!", when Dallas traded back with San Fran to pick Travis Frederick in '13. Turned out, Dallas was justified when Frederick was named All-Rookie. In his second year, he mad the Pro Bowl. I love NFLN, but Mayock is hard to listen to at times. It seems to me that his 8 WRs with first round grades is a reaction to how well the rookie receivers played last year. This is a deep WR class, but 8?? Talk about reaching??

Doesn't mean they couldn't have drafted Frederick in the 3rd round.

Every analyst, GM, scout and coach has missed completely on multiple prospects before.

Robert Woods and Marqise Lee have been very solid considering the awful QB situations they've both had. The USC WRs that have been mediocre all were under a different coaching staff than is there now so the circumstances are completely different. Who coached them and the system they were in is far more important than the school they went to.

that's bollocks.

You can get a list of WR's drafted the last decade from 95% of all college teams and find only 1-2 players making an impact. 

The point was (outside of Marqise Lee because it is too soon to tell) that USC hasn't had a WR perform well in the NFL. I can't think of any other school that has consistently had WR's drafted in the first 3 rounds for the past 10 years with none of them being more than a #3 option at best.

The point was (outside of Marqise Lee because it is too soon to tell) that USC hasn't had a WR perform well in the NFL. I can't think of any other school that has consistently had WR's drafted in the first 3 rounds for the past 10 years with none of them being more than a #3 option at best.

Robert Woods , 1300 yards with Buffalo's QB situation isn't "performing well"? 1200 yards from Smith the season before his injury isn't "performing well"? That's ridiculous. 

Robert Woods , 1300 yards with Buffalo's QB situation isn't "performing well"? 1200 yards from Smith the season before his injury isn't "performing well"? That's ridiculous. 

1300 yards / 2 years = 650 yards/year. those are worse than lafells old numbers. And their QB situation wasnt as bad as the Jets or Bucs. Orton put up 3000 yards in 12 games. And Smith had one good season with 1200 yards. I'll grant that barring injury he could have been a decent #2 or #3 option for the Giants.

Mike Mayocks had the same worry with KB but he proved that the trend can be broken B)

"He's 6-foot-5, 240 pounds with 35-inch arms, and you're talking about a catching radius. However, there's one thing about wide receivers with only one year of college production (like Benjamin at FSU) and it's a little sobering when you look at the names on that list: Stephen Hill, Greg Little, Devin Thomas, Anthony Gonzalez." -- Mike Mayock

I want to buy into the Agholor bandwagon but I just can't get over the stigma that surrounds USC receivers. They always carry hype and never pan out.

That stigma has been gone for years, they're producing good wide outs. Besides, that stigma is more superstition than anything.

Agholor is going to make some team happy.

Archived