• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mayock: 2015 WR class has eight with 1st round grade

gettlemanjack

I think there's this idea that DGB would be a can't miss prospect if not for the characters concerns. He has football concerns as well.

Sloppy routes, not the greatest of hands, sometimes issues beating press, and can't read defenses to find soft spot in zone... Now most of these things he can be coached up on, which is why I'd love him at #25, but he's not an AJ Green talent IMO

You made this statement. "I dunno about Mayock this year. After White, Cooper, and Parker I see a distinct drop."

As Mayock said he thought there were as many as 8 1st round WRs. You implied he is wrong, and named 3 WRs you claimed were the only 1st round talent. After all, isn't that a distinct drop-off means?

So...I have been giving you a hard time over this premise. Because there are a lot of people besides Mayock claiming as many as 5-8 1st round WRs.

So who is right? All the folks saying plenty of 1st round WRs talent? Or you? Claiming only 3 1st round WRs? I am just trying to wrap my head around this. Inquiring minds, and all that.

Gotcha.  What I said doesn't mean I don't think there's other WRs worth a 1st rounder.  Again, just noticing a decent drop after them.  Take that for what you will.  I think Strong and Perrimen are worth a 1sts but would personally put them in a 2nd tier with Agholor.     

I am not positive on the amount of diligence we have done with him. I agree, that he has the talent to warrant interest. Lots of kids get in some type of trouble early in college. The vast majority overcome it, and become contributing members of society.

I just have to think that Gman, and Co., have heard something that they didn't like. They must be scared off to basically be ignoring him.

I guess, my wanting a reliable mate for Benji is getting to me. Normally, I shy away from guys like this cuz they can be more trouble than they are worth. But I really like this kid.

I don't buy for one second there is some secret thing with him that Gman only knows, infact if it was up to Gman we would probably draft him, the Ravens out of all teams had a visit with him, if any team should be gun shy about a prospect with character concerns, it's the Ravens

man, someone really good is going to drop to us at 25.  With qbs, pass rushers and WR's being

mentioned so often, I'm starting to get excited about a real good player or two to choose from at

Yup, something good is going to fall right into our hands - there are several teams ahead of us that will draft based on need because they have no other choice. 

Hard not to be skeptical about USC receivers, especially after Dwayne Jarrett...

That being said, I would not mind us grabbing a good hands guy (Hardy?) or speed #2 (Perriman?)

Only if you're a moron or someone who wears lucky underwear to every game. 

He will almost surely be there when we pick in the first round. The question is whether he'd be considered the BPA, or a reach in the first. I am wishing beyond hope that he falls to us in the second.

I don't think it's a guarantee anymore. Philly is extremely high on him. 

My thing is, from what I've read, noticed, seen, etc. we haven't even given the kid his due diligence.  Which annoys me, too talented to ignore because of his two problems that happened over a year ago.      

The thing is that not all meetings, visits or workouts are publicized.  Also, teams interview most top candidates at the combine.  So the chances are good that we have at least had a combine meeting with him.  And if we did, it's entirely possible that they quickly determined he was full of crap or not overly sincere...enough to know that they don't trust him.  And if that's the case, there is absolutely no reason to bring him in.

Or, they may have a visit scheduled sometime in the next week or two.  Just because we haven't heard doesn't mean it's not happening.

Please, please, please... I hope some team is dumb enough to take Perriman in the Top 20. That only drops a legitimate prospect down to us.

I still see you think that you know more than the professionals. Of course, there is that psychological thing about people sticking to their incorrect opinion to save face...

Only if you're a moron or someone who wears lucky underwear to every game. 

Keary Colbert, 2nd round, 2004

Dwayne Jarrett, 2nd round, 2007

Steve Smith (NYG), 2nd round, 2007 

R. Jay Soward, 1st round, 2000 

Patrick Turner, 3rd round, 2009

Damian Williams, 3rd round, 2010

Mike Williams, 1st round, 2005. 

Prior history proves there is a right to be skeptical.

I've disagreed with maycock more this year than the last five combined. He leftd tj flemmngs as #1 OT faaar too long. He just recently dropped him to tied #5.

I will defend him and its impossible to get the ranking of every spot. Teams have took notice of what maybe the best WR class in nfl history, but getting those results form another class will not happen for awhile.

Steve Smith (NYG), 2nd round, 2007

Most of those busts came from a time with Southern Cal was dominating the PAC. Those WRs came in as hyped freshmen and immediately dominated with NFL caliber lines and QBs. Their success overshadowed their individual talent and led to them being overdrafted. That is obviously no longer the case. Also, it seems unfair to include Steve Smith on that list. He was a very good receiver until his career was cut short by injury.

Agholor is both quick and fast. He runs good routes and is a natural hands catcher. He creates separation and may be the best YAC receiver in this class (he was an RB in high school). He's also an accomplished returner.

In short, he probably fits our team better than any other receiver in this class. I'd love to draft a top OT in the first and trade up for Agholor in the second - but I'm not sure he'll make it out of the first anymore. I wouldn't be ecstatic with Agholor at 25 but thats primarily due to how badly we need an LT.

Most of those busts came from a time with Southern Cal was dominating the PAC. Those WRs came in as hyped freshmen and immediately dominated with NFL caliber lines and QBs. Their success overshadowed their individual talent and led to them being overdrafted. That is obviously no longer the case. Also, it seems unfair to include Steve Smith on that list. He was a very good receiver until his career was cut short by injury.

Agholor is both quick and fast. He runs good routes and is a natural hands catcher. He creates separation and may be the best YAC receiver in this class (he was an RB in high school). He's also an accomplished returner.

In short, he probably fits our team better than any other receiver in this class. I'd love to draft a top OT in the first and trade up for Agholor in the second - but I'm not sure he'll make it out of the first anymore. I wouldn't be ecstatic with Agholor at 25 but thats primarily due to how badly we need an LT.

I've gone through the Steve Smith thing numerous times. Nobody wants to give him the benefit of the doubt. Guy had 1200 yards the season before his career was essentially derailed. 

Even still. If someone is too dense to realize that those guys (including Smith) are different type of play makers for the most part (let alone people), thy probably should just keep your opinion to yourself. Dwayne Jarrett, Patrick Turner, Mike Williams and Damian Williams have jack in common with Woods, Lee or Agholor except for the school they went to. Also, throwing Soward in there as a "hey look here's another guy" really doesn't prove your point. He failed for reasons that were well beyond the lines of a football field. 

Steve Smith (NYG), 2nd round, 2007 

No, you being skeptical proves you're shallow minded and can't look beyond a uniform for your "analysis". That's all that's been proven. Agholor isn't the same player as any of those guys. He's also an incredibly hard worker and humble. I would say there's a much better chance that he's a very good player in the NFL to being a bust. He has physical ability most of those guys didn't have, better route running than maybe any of them save for Smith, and better character than all of them (again save for Smith)

Yes, because he's never been wrong. Not once. Ever.

Like all other "analyst" opinions, the "for entertainment purposes only" disclaimer applies.

Perhaps...but that last part certainly fits to most Huddlers' scouting opinions like a hand to a glove. It's definitely not a case of "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit."

Now, even if all things are equal (even though they aren't), whose opinions are most sober minded people going to give more weight and why, particularly when it comes to first round level type of talents that have been vetted more than most?

Scouting is an imperfect science, but it some guys' jobs, and other guys' hobbies. Who am I more likely to believe, Mayock, Brandt or Cosell (a couple of which who don't even really play the "game of mocks"), or davos, Promethean Forerunner or LinvilleGorge?

I am not even trying to be funny.

I realize that evaluating so many of these guys can be extremely difficult---maybe even impossible to do it with 100 percent accuracy, so what I like to do is take a few guys that have been doing this stuff for years and listen to what they have to say and their reasons for saying it. If I begin hearing the same types of things about a prospect from Cosell, Brandt, Mayock, Brooks and/or maybe a couple of others, then I am going to give it weight, and certainly more validity than your average Huddler due to history alone.

I mean I have heard so many arguments against guys---our guys--that have come into this league and shut their Huddle critics' mouths that it's gone beyond "for entertainment purposes only".

That's one reason why you don't hear me doggin' someone out.

Archived