• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers met multiple times with OT Chaz Green, potential Day 3 steal

gettlemanjack

from his Path to the Draft journal posted in March:

"Once I was back in Gainesville, I continued working out and getting ready. All of that was in my preparation for my first team workout, which was on Wednesday with the Carolina Panthers. The coaches ran myself and D.J. Humphries, who they are looking at earlier in the draft.

We both got there at 9:30 a.m. and worked out for 90 minutes. There drills included inside and outside zone, run blocking and pass production. He wanted to see whether I could fit into what he is teaching at the next level, and I felt very confident with how I performed out on the field."

http://www.onlygators.com/03/18/2015/chaz-green-path-to-the-2015-nfl-draft-team-workouts-begin-in-gainesville/

Then we met individually with Green this week:

Tuesday, April 7 - Tony Pauline on the Florida Pro Day:

Offensive line coaches from the Patriots, Eagles, Colts, Saints, Steelers, Bears, Chargers, Titans are on hand. ... Add the Rams to the teams that had offensive line coaches on hand today.

many of the NFL offensive line coaches on hand stepped in and ran their own drills.

there was a lot of intrigue over Chaz Green. I'm told several offensive line coaches took him to the side and worked him one-on-one. ... there's a bunch of intrigue over Green and it's understandable. When healthy and hitting on all cylinders, his game film is top notch. I've always felt had Green been able to stay on the field and play to his level of ability, he was top-100 material. That being the case, he received a ton of interest over the past two days.

Yesterday, Green met individually with the Dallas Cowboys, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Bucs, San Diego Chargers and Carolina Panthers. Today, he's meeting with the Philadelphia Eagles and Houston Texans.

Green's visit list in the next week included official trips to the Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills, Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Bucs.

http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

CBS Sports Rob Rang:

"Green, an 18-game starter for the Gators over the past three years, was the first of Florida's offensive linemen to suffer a major injury in 2013, tearing a labrum in August that caused him to miss the entire season. Green also missed games due to injury in 2012 and 2011. While scouts will want to investigate Green's troubling struggles with durability, he sports an athletic frame with long arms and light feet"

in the 2010 recruiting class, Green was rated the:

#4 OT by ESPN (#2 was Jawuan James, #6 Luke Joeckel, #7 Jake Matthews, #36 Cedric Ogbuehi)

#6 OT by Rivals (#5 was Luke Joeckel, #7 Jake Matthews, #8 Jawuan James, #13 Cedric Ogbuehi)

#6 OT by 247 (#2 was Ja'Wuan James, #5 Jake Matthews, #7 Luke Joeckel, #15 Cedric Ogbuehi)

had offers to Ohio State, Alabama, Florida State, Southern Cal, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, etc

injury concerns in high school kept him from being rated higher:

08/25/2009 - "Green needs to stay healthy for a whole season ... If healthy, Green could be an offensive lineman that actually sees meaningful playing time as a freshman. He is athletic and has the size to compete at the next level right now. ... tremendous overall athleticism. ... may be the most athletic-looking of any offensive lineman in the country."

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Chaz-Green-88695

at Florida:

2010: redshirted

2011: Freshman All-American, SEC All-Freshman. 9 appearances, 1 start (the start was at RT)

2012: 10 starts, missed 2 games to injury

2013: injured in August camp and missed the entire season

2014: voted Team Captain by the team, 11 starts (9 RT/2 LT)

usa-today-8189178.0.jpg

sounds like he's a 1st R talent who:

1) has a history since high school of missing a few games most years due to minor injuries

2) got set back a year of athletic and technique development due to missing the year to the torn labrum (shoulder)...which didn't appear to have any lasting effects and is an injury which, per Johns Hopkins, "a vast majority of patients have full function of the shoulder after labrum repair, and most patients can return to their previous level of sports with no or few restrictions."

http://www.hopkinsortho.org/labrum_tear.html

You get a guy like that on Day 3, i don't know how you can't get excited. You aren't going to get a more exciting pick on Day 3 than that

He has the potential to be a real late round steal, but also to be out of the league in 2 years because he can't stay on the field. Guys like him are why it's good to have extra draft picks like we do this year. You can afford to take a late round flyer on a guy without worrying too much about it hurting your depth if it doesn't work out. Extra picks give you the opportunity to trade up or take a gamble on potential which is really nice.

Archived