• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good read on Gamble's Struggles

PantherBrew

If Derrick Mason can make Gamble his bitch ,then what will Moss,Fitzgerald and Desean Jackson do?

probably the exact same thing that occured most of last season once teams realized how soft we were in the secondary.........

Panthers fans are ridiculous. One bad game and we're ready to crucify a guy who has had a great career with us.

that game had nothing to do with it.....and Gamble hasn't had a great career. Gamble has shown lots of potential and but actually never lived up to it.....his contract was also based on potential.

that game had nothing to do with it.....and Gamble hasn't had a great career. Gamble has shown lots of potential and but actually never lived up to it.....his contract was also based on potential.

You're right, I forgot about all the times he got burned last year and all those big plays he gave up........

OH wait, that didn't happen.

You're right, I forgot about all the times he got burned last year and all those big plays he gave up........

OH wait, that didn't happen.

Gamble has always struggled over the course of his career when dropped back into coverage......he has always shown the same strengths and weaknesses as a corner.

again, just b/c teams found it more fun to pick on other aspects of a medicore secondary....doesn't mean Gamble was a shutdown CB imo.

Gamble getting beat deep was because he isn't exactly the most physical corner out there. When a DB plays up on a receiver like he did that play they have to knock the receiver off their route and even then there is always a chance that he gets beat deep, unless he is Namndi Asomugha. With that said, being 15 yards off the receiver on third and 7 isn't exactly bright either, a good pass rush would help in either case.

One thing I didn't understand and really pissed me off is when we blitzed on a third and long and Flacco was able to hit a receiver easily with the hot read. A blitz is the time that you wanna play tight because the DB has to take away that quick read. I don't get why they played so far off in that situation. If the coverage was tighter we would have got a sack or forced a turnover. In any case we missed a tackle and they got the first down so poor tackling came into play as well. How did this defense get so bad at the basic fundamentals. It's like we need to go through training camp again.

Only thing I can add is that with Fox's pre-season strategy we really haven't seen what the "new" scheme is all about. I think I read above the secondary is toast without a pass rush.

Assuming the plan is to migrate to a hybrid cover two they'll need much more pressure to be successful. I know they moved around more on the line against the Ravens, but they didn't appear to do much stunting, or any real blitz packages. That, and two starting LB's on the bench could be the difference.

I'm cautiously optimistic the Panthers haven't shown their hole cards, and more pressure will come once they throw down. I'm hoping it really is a new scheme, and the transition isn't on full display. I do think we've seen some flashes, but it's hard to judge without the full playbook in the wild.

Then again the new scheme could be nothing but smoke, and they don't have the personnel to stay out of the fire. As others have said we'll see in a few days.

Archived