• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you be open to this Star trade? (very hypothetical)

PanthersUnited

First and foremost, a disclaimer. This is NOT a Star bashing thread. I love Star, he is a great NT and has been huge for us. So my thinking behind this post is 100% purely thinking from a business stand point and a "makes sense" stand point. So please put away the pitchforks and keep an open mind and you might see this would make sense if this ever happened (which we all know it won't happen.) it's still fun to talk about the what ifs.

So Eddie Goldman is a player that people seem to love as a NT and indications are he will be there at pick 25. Analysts seem to think he is a fantastic run stuffer with pretty solid pass rushing skills as well, he fits the Gettleman player to a T, in other words he is Star with pass rushing ability.

We also just found out we spent extensive time with him so clearly there is interest. So the trade I propose would be Star straight up to the Raiders for their 4th pick (word has it that the Raiders really liked Star when he came out) we keep our 25th pick still. With the 4th pick we draft Amari Cooper, then with the 25th pick we draft Goldman to replace Star.

Now this helps us in more ways than one.

For starters, Goldman is 3 years younger than Star (he's only 21) so we get even younger at NT. Not saying Star is old, not by any stretch but in the NFL, 3 years younger is quite a difference.

We buy ourselves 3 extra years of having to lock up a core player to a pretty sizeable contract Star would command. Star is coming due for a new contract in a couple short years. Well now we would have 4-5 years before we have to lock up a big contract and gives us even more flexibility to sign solid player or two in FA since we would now have one less expensive player to worry about locking up in the near term.

We add a WR with superstar potential in Cooper and we firmly solidify our no 1 and no 2 WR spots for years to come, since we replace Star with Goldman, we did this without taking a step back elsewhere on our roster not did we mortgage our future by dealing draft picks.

Now ofcourse all of this is hypothetical and would require a lot of chips to fall, and with this year's flurry of unprecedented trade moves in the NFL, a trade like this wouldn't be that out of the question. I like this trade because it lets us solidify our no 1/no 2 WR spots for years while not taking a step back anywhere else and it gives us more cap flexibility because with Star gone and Goldman in, we have one less player to worry about locking up in the near future. Again, I ABSLOUTLEY have nothing against Star whatsoever, he is a pro's pro and a absolute beast, this wouldn't be a football move, it would be a business move. Pure and simple.

Why do you keep making these long, thought out threads that are just terrible?

Star was probably the most dominant rookie of the 2013 draft class.  He was banged up last year and never really himself.  You'll understand how dumb this thread is when Star is out there beasting on fools again this season.

Why do you keep making these long, thought out threads that are just terrible?

Star was probably the most dominant rookie of the 2013 draft class. He was banged up last year and never really himself. You'll understand how dumb this thread is when Star is out there beasting on fools again this season.

I agree 100%, Star is a beast. This is purely a business move not a football move. I think Goldman could be equally as good so our D line dominance stays intact all the while we add a stud WR in Cooper without mortgaging our future by dealing draft picks.

Too many people get emotionally attached to these players. Why wouldn't you want a WR like Cooper withou downgrading our team nor giving up draft picks?! Makes no sense to me

Archived