• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Aggresive index 2014 - Has the riverboat beached?

CelibatePimp

Was looking up the aggressiveness index for coaches on Football Outsiders;

Aggressiveness Index numbers center around 1.0 and generally describe how much more (or less) likely each coach is to go for it on fourth down compared to his peers; for example, a coach with 1.20 AI is roughly 20 percent more likely to go for it than an average coach in equivalent situations. The Aggressiveness Index excludes obvious catch-up situations: third quarter, trailing by 15 or more points; fourth quarter, trailing by nine or more points; and in the last five minutes of the game, trailing by any amount.

In 2012, Rivera ranked 17th. As we know, 2013 was when the Riverboat moniker was born. Unfortunately I cannot find the AI for the 2013 season, however for the 2014 season, Riverboat is ranked 21st. That's a slip from the 2012 to 2014 season (I do believe his 2013 AI will be higher). All this confirms what many of us thought, that the Riverboat may have beached!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/aggressiveness-index-2014

Rivera isn't the same coach in 2013 who was fighting for his job. After 2013, he got comfortable which resulted in our losing 7-8-1 record in 2014. Nothing will change next season as well since making the playoffs by default is good enough for him.

Rivera isn't the same coach in 2013 who was fighting for his job. After 2013, he got comfortable which resulted in our losing 7-8-1 record in 2014. Nothing will change next season as well since making the playoffs by default is good enough for him.

That is how I am beginning to feel. I think both he and DG have gotten too comfy with each other (though that's good to a certain extent). He seems to believe that he truly has a plug and play where anyone can flourish in his system. Hopefully 2014 reminded him that we are far away from that.

Rivera knew he was coaching for his job and it showed.  Unfortunately, I think he's one of those guys whose seat is going to have to be perpetually warm to make him keep his foot on the gas.  But, that's typical of defensive minded head coaches.  They're generally more conservative.

in the late 1820s abraham lincoln took a flatboat trip down the mississippi river with a friend to transport poo to new orleans. it was a formative experience in his life, and one of the lasting impressions in his mind occurred when they were camping by the shore overnight and a couple of runaway slaves sneaked on board and tried to ambush them and steal their cargo and kill them. lincoln beat their asses with an oar and drove them off, and a few weeks later in new orleans he watched a slave auction and connected the anger and desperation in the attack with the inhumanity of that institution, something that stuck with him throughout the rest of his life and helped form him into the most powerful abolitionist politician of his century.

another thing that happened on that trip was they were beebopping down the river and a pair of steamboats blew by them, racing. one of them, the yazoo or some poo, turned into a complete badass in the race and threw all caution to the wind, forgetting the boilers and the water levels and left the other steamboat in its wake and all the antebellum fatasses on board the loser all sad and bummed but then the lead boat, all cool and awesome and winning because of its gambling, blew its fuging stack out of nowhere and blew its entire cargo of antebellum fatasses into the mississippi river and burned down to the hull and sunk. lincoln drifted past them staring at the wreck.

i kind of think ron rivera might be the yazoo

No one goes for it on fourth down unless you are reasonably comfortable that you can make it. To do it all the time regardless of circumstance only works if you have a great offense and scheme. In 2013 we went for it because it worked and we kept doing it. Success built confidence that we could do it. In 2014 the offense really was erratic and guys who were automatic on 4th and short like Cam and Tolbert were injured most of the year. So we didn't go for it as much as before. Exactly what you want your coach to do. Ride the hot hand and go for it when your offense is effective and when you are in the redzone. On the other hand when they struggle be smart and dont just go for it on your own half of the 50 for example. Hopefull the offense will be potent and we will go back to going for it as Rivera has confidence that the offense can make it. After all, gamblers always pay the percentages.

We didn't have the team we had in 2013 in 2014 which is why he wasn't as aggressive. We had the second best defense in 2013. That allows you to take more risks cause you know the defense can back it up.

Our defense was very suspect in the first 10-12 games of the season

I don't think it had anything to do with RR fighting for his job. As several others have already said, Cam and Bowling Bowl being injured had a huge impact on taking the risk. I also agree with the fact that the defense was not the same defense as 2013.

Archived