• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Lippett WR/CB Michigan State

gettlemanjack

Named Team MVP of the 2014 Michigan State Spartans who finished ranked #5/#5, going 11-2 with the 2 losses coming to the two teams in the Championship Game (Ohio State and Oregon)

"Tony will go down as one of the greatest players in Michigan State history,'' MSU coach Dantonio said. "On offense, he was our go-to guy, and even when people knew the ball was coming to him he made the 50-50 catches with people hanging all over him."

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2014/12/mark_dantonio_tony_lippett_one.html

as a CB

-2014: in his 3 games (2 starts) at CB, he only gave up 13 total passing yards under his watch (and one of those starts was in the Cotton Bowl vs #4 Baylor and their vaunted passing attack)

-Played both WR and CB as a RS freshman but primary saw field as CB, starting 5 of the last 7 games of 2011 as a CB (his 1st career start was at #13 Nebraska and he started vs #18 Georgia in the Outback Bowl). Then he was WR-only the rest of his four-year letterwinner career, until the last 3 games of 2014 when they played him at CB in addition to WR, starting the last two games at both WR and CB (including the Cotton Bowl vs #4 Baylor). He was the 1st Michigan State player since 1968 to start on both offense and defense in the same game.

as a WR

-Finished #2 in school history in receptions and #5 in receiving yards

-2014 Big Ten Receiver of the Year, unanimous 1st Team All-Big Ten

-1,198 yds, 11 TD....92.2 ypg receiving (#1 in Big Ten). 12 TDs in 13 gms (11 rec, 1 rush)...85 percent of his catches went for either a touchdown or first down

-caught at least one pass in his last 23 consecutive games

Jayson Braddock @ JaysonBraddock:

Mar 31 - Really love Lippett's unique routes

Apr 1 - If running an offense that benefits on WRs getting open quickly, Lippett is your guy. Hard for traditional CB to cover. Unique "south-paw" route runner, similar to Stevie Johnson. "South-paw" is a term I use to describe unique route runners, hard to cover like defending south-paw boxer. One reason Revis struggled with Stevie Johnson = south-paw route runner

Measureables

-Lippett ran a 6.92 in the 3-cone at the Combine, same as Kevin White of WV

taking the best numbers from their Combine and Pro Day, this is how Lippett compares to Randall Cobb and Philly Brown:

Size

6-2/192 - Tony Lippett <-------------------

5-10/191 - Randall Cobb

5-11/178 - Philly Brown

40 Yrd Dash:

4.51 - Philly Brown

4.55 - Randall Cobb

4.56 - Tony Lippett <-------------------

Vertical Jump:

36.0 - Tony Lippett <-------------------

33.5 - Randall Cobb

33.0 - Philly Brown

3-Cone:

6.92 - Tony Lippett <-------------------

7.08 - Randall Cobb

7.16 - Philly Brown

20 Yrd Shuttle:

4.13 - Tony Lippett <-------------------

4.22 - Philly Brown

4.34 - Randall Cobb

Broad Jump:

10'03 - Philly Brown

09'07 - Randall Cobb

09'06 - Tony Lippett <-------------------

225 Lb. Bench Reps:

16 - Randall Cobb

10 - Tony Lippett <-------------------

DNP - Philly Brown

BzJhJETIQAA-uVf.jpg

B6NbVBbCUAAqWpH.jpg

CBOIHR0W4AAn83j.jpg

B0qsNgtIQAI2k1O.jpg

B3z7NPYIMAAQWvw.jpg

Being a Spartan myself, I would absolutely love a 3rd round pick on Lippett. Guy was amazing for us his senior year and made some clutch catches. Did pretty darn well at corner as well. It was speed to be 3 starts at CB but he forgot he was going both ways the first game.

I ain't gonna lie. Getting Tony in the 3rd, to me, would be ideal. It would allow us to address OL, DB, or DE in the first two rounds.

Tony has the wiggle and quick twitch needed to get free off the line. That separation allows him to use slants and crossing routes to his advantage. He is also deceptively fast, and can not only get deep, but has the talent to actually make the catches.

Oh, and he knows the importance of blocking as well.

I truly believe he would be a competent #2. Good size, physical, football smart, not afraid of contact, and can make the catch.

Langford in the 4th, and I am a happy camper.

I definitely like the Spartans in this draft.  Langford especially...but Lippett was easy to notice during the college season for that offense (in a good way).  He'd be legit on the ST unit, CB depth and I agree he has solid #2 potential.

Number-Two-Austin-Powers.jpg

....and damn his shuttle drill is impressive. 

would definitely approve this pick. Offense, defense, special teams.... seems like our kind of guy. Leader.... Would prefer him over ya boy from ECU.

Being that I go to ECU and seeing Hardy in person I can tell you that Justin Hardy has some of the best hands in the draft and will be one of the best slot receivers in the NFL in a few years. 

Being that I go to ECU and seeing Hardy in person I can tell you that Justin Hardy has some of the best hands in the draft and will be one of the best slot receivers in the NFL in a few years.

He caught me when i tripped in a bar and caught my drink without spilling a drop while hitting on my girlfriend

• 2 weeks later...

Archived